Author Topic: Nebo Slyde King battery  (Read 209 times)

Offline Mojoe1976

Nebo Slyde King battery
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:43:13 PM »
I just purchased my first rechargeable flashlight. When I opened it to check out the battery I noticed that the 18650 in it was slightly different than the ones I use in my vape. Now my question is do I need to use the style that came with it or will any 18650 flat top battery work?

Offline Henk4U2

Re: Nebo Slyde King battery
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »
You did not include a picture, so I had to .oogle for it. Based on that vague input I think that the battery that came with the light is a special for this light made low capacity proprietary battery. Without further input I would not recommend to put "regular" 18650 batteries in it. Maybe (and I say MAYBE) you can put regular batteries in it to get the light on, but you can most certainly NOT charge a regular battery in this flashlight. http://www.brightguy.com/NEBO/Nebo+Slyde+King+Rechargeable+Battery
I always think long and hard before I say something very stupid.

Offline Mojoe1976

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 01:07:52 AM »
Thank you for the link. I use an external charger for my 18650's that I run in my vape. The reason I was asking is that I have quite a few of them that I have retired from my vaporizer rotation due to them getting a little older. Some folks on the vape forum I  a member of suggested that I could use them in a flashlight. I just think I might have gotten the wrong light to do so. I took pictures of the two side by side but could not get them to load... I'm not very tech savvy. Once I got them side by side I noticed that not only are the tools different the one for the light is just a little taller. So I think I better stick with the Nebo batteries. I do really love the light though. Thanks for your help.

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:10:10 AM »
Welcome to TFF Mojoe.

If your vape cells are unprotected, then the battery will be a bit shorter than a protected cell due to the "circuit protection" device that keeps the battery from falling below a voltage that would be best for the Nebo LED module.

Many rechargeable lights have a range the light module can handle, both high and low so an unprotected cell could potentially provide more amps than the Nebo can handle, more volts or not enough volts. A protected cell keeps those things in range or trips the 'breaker' if things go out of said range.

I'd venture to say the Nebo cell is nothing all that special in terms of propietary, just a low output protected cell more than likely.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:12:33 AM by bykfixer »
John 3:16

Offline Mojoe1976

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »
Thank you. They are definitely unprotected cells so that is the difference. I think I'll just order another battery from the link above. I  do really like the light even if I can't use my retired batteries in it. It has some very handy features.

Offline Henk4U2

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »
I'd venture to say the Nebo cell is nothing all that special in terms of propietary, just a low output protected cell more than likely.

My suspicion based upon the picture in the link I provided you with is substantiated by a customer review on Amazon. Please observe the black circle on the bottom end of the battery and read what this gentleman has to say about it  https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R270N3IB2U5856/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01JRCR4P0

But then again: I'm always willing to adjust my perception if someone comes up with better definition of proprietary.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:43:10 PM by Henk4U2 »
I always think long and hard before I say something very stupid.

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 12:25:26 AM »
The Nebo cell looks like a protected flat top. At $8, why not pick up a couple to keep on standby?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:27:55 AM by bykfixer »
John 3:16

Offline robo819

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
I am not trying to stir any arguments but , the Nebo cell looks like it works in the same way as a couple of other proprietary cells I have gotten in lights.
The little black ring looks like it is actually an insulator , keeping the Positive and Ground currents separated and if you use a regular button top or flat top in the light It will probably work (although I wouldn't swear to it) as far as operating the light , but it would not charge using the light itself as a charger for common cells , as they have the Ground portion of the cell covered with some type of insulator and only the positive portion exposed to make contact on that end.

One thing I would be afraid of  is (IF I am correct about this) is if you touch the center portion of that Nebo cell and the outer portion at the same time to a solid piece of metal , you will get a short from the 2 areas touching  as explained above with the center being Positive and the outer part of the black ring being Ground.

An easy way to test it is just take a very fine piece of wire , like a single strand from a piece of solder wick and touch it to both areas at the same time to see if the wire burns in half. This will act like a tiny breaker and will not carry the current more than just maybe a second , so no danger of overheating or a dangerous short using this method.

The second thing that would worry me about trying to use the Nebo cell in another light .......IF I am correct with my theory of the Positive and ground being insulated at that little spot where the black ring is at.......
Would be that some of the lights out there have the spring reversed , or upside down. By this I mean the little end of the spring is on the driver board and the big end of the spring is making the contact with the positive on the cell. With some of the larger springs that are oriented in this manner , you could possibly have a direct short , because the wider end of the spring could easily touch both the Positive and Ground of the Nebo cell , if it is in fact an insulator on the top of the cell dividing those 2 areas.

The last concern would be if you were to put the Nebo cell in an external charger , (again IF my theory is correct about the insulator) , with the top of the Nebo cell being flat , it could easily make contact across both Positive and Negative of the cell through the tab on an external charger.

A little long winded , but that's my 2 cents and my theory on these cells.

EDIT: I can not find a picture of the other end of the cell , but from reading a couple of things it seems this Nebo cell could be made with the Positive and Negative both on the "normally" Positive end of the cell and the normal Negative end of the cell is covered , or insulated?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:03:39 PM by robo819 »