Author Topic: 5D bright in a 2C light  (Read 168 times)

Offline bykfixer

5D bright in a 2C light
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:09:50 AM »
Ok, so this thread won't impress the folks who require their flashlight to be bright like an automotive light. Idea being bright like a big light in a smaller package. Oh, and using the stock parts n pieces the light came with.

Take your basic 2C Maglite for example. It fits in the car in small places, doesn't take up much room in a back pack nor shelf space. But that little guy aint very bright either. Yet it's made out of the same stuff those Louiville Slugger sized Mags have too. The 5-6 cell parts didn't fry or melt, so neither will the 2-3 cell parts.

Today we have a vast selection of rechargeable fuels cells that can provide a bunch of power on demand. With these mods raw power is not a good idea. Too much too fast will poof your bulb. Instead the kinder/gentler cell is the way to go.

LifePo4 18500's are showing up in box stores called "solar lantern" batteries. Made by the big names, these are not your average X-Fire type, but reliable instead. In battery stores they have what's called 1amp 18650's. Those too are nice and gentle.
A pair of 18500's easily replaces 2 C cells. A pair of 18650's replace 3 C cells.

Next, a gap filler sleeve is in order. Black PVC gas pipe at 3/4" comes in 12" straight sections and costs about a dollar at hardware stores. The inside diameter allows the 18mm cell to easily slide in and out. The outside diameter of this thin wall pipe easily slides in and out of the C sized barrel. Perfect fit? No. Yet not bad... not bad at all.

So you've got your fuel and tubing from a box store, but what about light bulbs? Well the 2x 18500 LifePo4 provides about 6 volts when rested so a 5 cell bulb (1.2 x 5 = 6.0 volts) will provide about 150 lumens. A 4 cell bulb about 200 lumens but the lifespan is greatly reduced. Oh it'll still last a few hours so no big worries there. One like a KPR113 krypton is great and can be found relatively cheap on the internet. Bi-pin Mag modules work great in Maglites and are easily found.

For a 3 cell light the 2x 18650 will push about 7 volts so a 6 cell bulb is best.
I'll add pics and more bulb model numbers later. But suffice to say, for less than $20 your 2-3C flashlight can really come alive with no modifications other than a fuel cell and light bulb update.
John 3:16

Online robo819

• Global Moderator
Re: 5D bright in a 2C light
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
Thanks for the info on this. Pretty cool thing to have a powerful Ican.
I would have to dig around but I am sure I still have some Ican lights around here this trick could work for.