Author Topic: It's been really quiet around here.  (Read 24464 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
It's been really quiet around here.
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:33:42 PM »
What has everyone been up to lately?  It's been really quiet on TFF these past couple weeks.  Has anyone gotten anything special lately or plan to?  Let's get some chatter going. :D

Offline MRsDNF

Re: It's been really quiet around here.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
Nothing at all happening here. I've had some refunds from FT and waiting for another order to be sent. Thats about it.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »
It's been cold around here. Northern Michigan. Last night on my walk it was 18 degrees with a wind chill that brought it down to zero. It also looks like the snow is here to stay already and it won't be long before the lakes are frozen over. Not the big lakes. I live close to Lake Huron and that doesn't freeze over but the small lakes do. This makes it great for ice fishing and snowmobile riding.

It also brings about the deadly time of year for snowmobile riding. From now till spring we will have at least two deaths a week from snowmobiles, either crashing or going through the ice. Mostly people from downstate (flatlanders we call them  >:().  There are almost no hills downstate or in Ohio and that is where a lot of tourists come from. They don't know the lakes or the snowmobile trails that well and a lot of them are buzzed up as well. We have an extensive trail system and what is called rails to trails. They took all the old railway lines that are no longer used and turned them into snowmobile trails. Well the trails go through the towns and the towns have bars and pubs. Bar and pubs are great places to stop and get warm and have some food and drink. With a little liquid courage and a machine that can go 100mph on ice or snow and you get a lot of accidents.

I used to be a first responder but I got tired of going to these things and to be honest there isn't much you can do for them anyway. Even though I'm an ex-responder I still get a couple calls a year if I'm the nearest so I will go but not for the people who fall through the ice. I'm not going to go looking for dead people anymore.

On a more happy note. Ice fishing on first ice is usually fantastic with perch and crappy fishing being the best. My favorite is pike fishing and I would love to try spearing for Sturgeon but It's a lottery system to get a permit. No luck getting one yet.

We also have a few ski slopes that keep people entertained and ice fishing festivals as well. One of the more crazy things we do is bump and run races on the ice. This is when you take old beat up cars and race each other on an ice track. Bumping into other cars in allowed and encouraged. These are not published events and are technically illegal but we get away with it most years. You take the gas tank out of the cars and put a small tank behind the passenger seat. Reinforcing cars with roll bars and push bars is allowed but not necessary so are studded tires or chains. Unlike the snowmobile riders we have yet to have an injury. 

Offline _the_

• Flashaholic
  • Lounge Lizards
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:53 PM »
It also brings about the deadly time of year for snowmobile riding. From now till spring we will have at least two deaths a week from snowmobiles, either crashing or going through the ice.

They are doing it wrong. It's so much safer during summer..
http://www.youtube.com/v/lhmDJeDpgmc&fs=1

..just kidding. We have too many snowmobile crashes in Finland too. :(

Offline jacktheclipper

• Lounge Lizards
    • Dillard Street Barbershop
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:38:52 AM »
    "It's not that quiet " , jack joked ...

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:29:57 AM »
Jack your a gun.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
With the cold winter's nights and the dark beginning to rule once again it think it's time to really get out there and show it who's boss!

I think tonight I will give my old 18650's a rest from heating coils and see how they enjoy slapping the dark instead :) not only that but I could do with getting my son's nose from being stuck in his x-box.

:D

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:33:48 PM »
Good luck with the son. Mine wont be told anything anymore. I do enjoy walking their dogs though.  ;)

Offline Chloe

• Lounge Lizards
  • ♡彡
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »
I've been mostly waiting for parts. >.< Oh, I got a rework station recently which has been fun. Today I modded a Tank007 E09, put a Nichia 119 in it. I love this light now! ;D

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 01:38:23 AM »
I've been mostly waiting for parts. >.< Oh, I got a rework station recently which has been fun. Today I modded a Tank007 E09, put a Nichia 119 in it. I love this light now! ;D
I saw your video. Very nice. I've never seen a heat gun working before. There must be lots of experts out there that have used them. ;) Your tank mod sounds like a real success.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »
I completed first responder training for work a couple weeks ago.  Should have my certification card soon.  Now I just hope I never have to use it.  Good to know I can handle more now than I could should an unfortunate situation arise.

It's been cold, dark and rainy in my area lately.  Only 2 of the 3 make for good flashlight weather.  Hopefully  my lights will start getting a better workout than just walking the dog around the block.  My CQG S2 has been handling that job just fine lately while thumbing it's lens at my fleet of far more powerful lights.  It's funny but living on the edge of the city like I do my brighter lights are simply of no use.  Can't shine them around without hitting someone's windows and disturbing the peace or blinding someone in an oncoming car.  Damn shame, that.

My vaping addiction is still going on strong although I find myself thinking how pointless it really is but it's a hobby and not much more pointless than collecting more than 3 or 5 flashlights.  Since I have well over 100 lights now I guess I can justify a few more vaping mods. :D

Now I just have to knuckle down and start cranking out my reviews again.  Just so little time these days and even less motivation since there is nothing new in the flashlight hobby these days that is innovative or really sparks my interest as much as it did.  I think we are all just waiting for the next cycle of innovation to hit the industry.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:26:44 PM by JohnnyMac »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »
With the cold winter's nights and the dark beginning to rule once again it think it's time to really get out there and show it who's boss!

I think tonight I will give my old 18650's a rest from heating coils and see how they enjoy slapping the dark instead :) not only that but I could do with getting my son's nose from being stuck in his x-box.

:D
It's about time you stop neglecting your lights!  Time to get your photons on!!  :P

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
Kudos on the first responder training. It's something that I think everyone should get. Like you said even if you never have to use it at least you know you can be of help if need be. I also think basic first aid should be included in all schools. I had my first serious classes in the Army Combat Lifesavers courses. These became mandatory for all infantry soldiers sometime in the late 80's.

I have been a little more into the e-cig thing as well lately. More like revisiting it for myself. It's all these new clones that are cheap that is sparking my interest. Mostly the toppers. I'm vaping a dual coil 1ohm microcoil setup right now. Lower than I usually go but it's pretty nice. (samsung 20r's) K-100 Dream BT801 Rebuildable atomizer. It's a cheapy and the screws are a pain but the airflow on it is perfect. No need to drill out extra holes or anything like that. This guy delivers FAST. You can see my review I'm boxofvapor (my old business name) It's a play on one of my favorite Dead songs Box of Rain. (I sold box mods and juice mostly)

Dream BT801 Rebuildable atomizer

This new dripping atomizer looks pretty nice.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10006867/1545500-a9-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SqDx1vi4c" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SqDx1vi4c</a>

Yes I was a deadhead, I sold Tie-dyes to get from show to show, great times. I started in Ithica NY and followed them to the Fillmore in SF.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »
Kudos on the first responder training. It's something that I think everyone should get. Like you said even if you never have to use it at least you know you can be of help if need be. I also think basic first aid should be included in all schools. I had my first serious classes in the Army Combat Lifesavers courses. These became mandatory for all infantry soldiers sometime in the late 80's.

I have been a little more into the e-cig thing as well lately. More like revisiting it for myself. It's all these new clones that are cheap that is sparking my interest. Mostly the toppers. I'm vaping a dual coil 1ohm microcoil setup right now. Lower than I usually go but it's pretty nice. (samsung 20r's) K-100 Dream BT801 Rebuildable atomizer. It's a cheapy and the screws are a pain but the airflow on it is perfect. No need to drill out extra holes or anything like that. This guy delivers FAST. You can see my review I'm boxofvapor (my old business name) It's a play on one of my favorite Dead songs Box of Rain. (I sold box mods and juice mostly)

Dream BT801 Rebuildable atomizer

This new dripping atomizer looks pretty nice.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10006867/1545500-a9-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SqDx1vi4c" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SqDx1vi4c</a>

Yes I was a deadhead, I sold Tie-dyes to get from show to show, great times. I started in Ithica NY and followed them to the Fillmore in SF.
I saw that A9 dripper as well.  I'm still a huge fan of my Nimbus clone from FT.  I can't imagine anything better that can improve on such a simple design.  Only so much you can do until they are all redundant.  I've just got into genesis style atomizers.  The best aspects of a dripper with the convenience of a tanker.  I'm in love with it and it looks phenomenal.  I got my first one, a Pulse-G atty from FT the other night and it's simply gorgeous and works extremely well.  Will work even better once I redo the wicking next week.  For just $12.73 for something this well made and functional a work of art how can you not?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:58:43 PM by JohnnyMac »