Author Topic: Looks for professional flashlight~~  (Read 6586 times)

Offline TD Rep.

Looks for professional flashlight~~
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:19:40 AM »
Fenix PD35 Cree U2 LED flashlight~~
It seems so professional. I always see that it says cree, XML, XPG, or Q3, Q5, T6, or just says LED for general. How to tell the difference between them?
Is it a good choice if I buy the Fenix brand flashlight? As it looks more functional and more expensive…
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:04:47 AM by Spasmod »

Offline Legolas Jr.

Re: Looks for professional flashlight~~
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »
Fenix flashlights are more reliable than most budget brands, have better build quality, and are always exactly as bright as advertised, hence their higher price. I have a pd35 and it is a great flashlight. If you are willing to pay Fenix prices for the aforementioned things as well as a great warranty, then go for it. If not, I would recommend Convoy flashlights as having great build quality for a budget light and being 1/4 the price of Fenix. Also, the Convoy flashlights are very mod friendly while every Fenix light I have owned had the head glued shut. I have a Convoy s8 in the mail right now, it seems to be very similar to the pd35 in aesthetics as far as I can tell without the light in hand, so that might be a good budget option for you. Not to discourage Fenix flashlights, just letting you know there are other options that 9 times out of 10 will do the job as well as them for 1/4 of the price.
"Life is too short to be little. Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly, and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor." -Benjamin Disraeli.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:42:56 AM »
Fenix make nice lights. I won't generally pay that much extra for a light though. When it comes down to it though it's an individual choice. I am more into modding lights and fenix lights are not usually easy to fix or mod. Budget lights are usually easy enough to mod or fix even for a relative noob.

Here is a great resource for cree emitters.

http://flashlightwiki.com/Cree

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum, bobrain!  I'm happy you joined us. :)

You really can't go wrong with a Fenix light.  They are everything they advertise themselves to be.  FYI, that is an XM-L2 U2 in the Fenix light you linked to.  What you choose to get for a reliable light really depends on your ability and desire to modify or improve a light.  I consider myself a modder and enjoy taking a budget light and making it better than one 4-5 times as costly.  I know enough that should anything break on me I can fix it myself.  You need to ask yourself if you can fix an issue that might arise.  If that answer is "no" then a light like the Fenix is definitely the way to go!  They are well made, very durable, and as bright as they claim to be.  The fact is all lights can fail no matter how much you pay for them or how reliable their reputation says they are.  Lights like the Fenix have good warranties and should something go wrong you need to send them in for repair, pay the shipping costs to and from, and get a repaired light or a complete replacement.  The high price they charge for their lights is to cover the warranty.

On the other hand, if you are comfortable with a soldering iron and basic tools, you may want to go a less expensive route.  All switches can break.  The nice thing is that even the expensive lights use the same kind of switch as a budget light.  They take a minute or two to replace and only cost a couple bucks or less.  Drivers on a good budget host like a Convoy are easily replaced and/or upgraded.  Same with the emitters.  The result would be a light as reliable as a Fenix or other expensive reputable brand.  It can also outperform the expensive brand and be configured exactly the way you want it from output brightness, to emitter tint, to modes selections, etc.  The nice thing is if it should break you can repair it yourself in a fraction of the time it would take to have an expensive light repaired under warranty. 

There is an old saying that the best flashlight you could have is the one that you have on you at the time.  While that expensive light is away for repairs it's the worst possible light you could buy.  The budget light that may break could be fixed in minutes and be ready for action making it the best possible light simply because it's there.  Just food for thought. ;)

Use that as your guide when buying your next light.  We find modding to be extremely fun and therefore many of us go that route with a budget light but that's not everyone's cup of tea and that's OK.  Others find a light with a great warranty and the peace of mind it provides priceless.  Let us know what you end up doing.  The choice of lights these days is mind numbingly huge!

Cheers! 
Johnny

Offline effimote

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 04:54:43 AM »
It seems so professional. I always see that it says cree, XML, XPG, or Q3, Q5, T6, or just says LED for general. How to tell the difference between them?
Is it a good choice if I buy the Fenix brand flashlight? As it looks more functional and more expensive…

i think you can buy it ,fenix is a famous brand ,i bought one before ,it is bright and
have long lasting

Offline [MOD-BOT]

• Lounge Lizards
  • Master Flashaholic
    • Worldwide Flashlight Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:01 AM »

i think you can buy it ,fenix is a famous brand ,i bought one before ,it is bright and
have long lasting

Sounds like it's definite proof!
5 quid says the IP is from the same building...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:08:18 AM by [MOD-BOT] »
••••••••••••Your Forum Guard™••••••••••••

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »
Quote from: [MOD-BOT
You'd actually be out 5 quid if anyone took you up on it.  Not even the same country. ;)

Offline [MOD-BOT]

• Lounge Lizards
  • Master Flashaholic
    • Worldwide Flashlight Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 10:02:06 AM »
Quote from: [MOD-BOT
You'd actually be out 5 quid if anyone took you up on it.  Not even the same country. ;)

Ah poop.
••••••••••••Your Forum Guard™••••••••••••

Offline captain

• Fort Lauderdale, FL
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »
I do not like the PD35 compared to the P12 or TN12. It does not tailstand and the metal around the switch makes the switch the hardest to access amongst the 3. The P12 for $40 is the best deal while the TN12 for $50 is a good option for slightly higher output, but I would avoid the PD35.

Offline effimote

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 08:57:33 AM »
i think fenix are worthy of buying even though it is expensive ,
you will get what you pay for ,if you want to buy some better price ,
you can go to  kingsbuying, which offer free shippment online ,i often
bought my flashlights and other electronics there .maybe you can check
to confirm

Offline cathyli9

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
hey, maybe you should check some industrial flashlight online which more professional!!it's suitable for outdoor, campaign & more.also, have the mini led flashlight.

Offline david57strat

• Lounge Lizards
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
i think fenix are worthy of buying even though it is expensive ,
you will get what you pay for ,if you want to buy some better price ,
you can go to  kingsbuying, which offer free shippment online ,i often
bought my flashlights and other electronics there .maybe you can check
to confirm

I have a number of Fenix lights, and have found them to be very well built, and dependable lights. 

The PD40 pictured above (fourth light from the left) is the only light of theirs, with a neutral tint, in the form of an MT-G2 emitter.  Very solid light.  That's one light of theirs that I use (among others), very regularly, at work.

I've also purchased a number of Convoy lights, in the past year, because they were so well spoken of, in numerous forums, and I think they're hard to beat, in terms of quality at a budget price.  They have the added advantage of offering up many of their models in a wide variety of tints. 

I tend to favor neutral and warmer tints, for most of my uses, and the Convoys really fit the bill, nicely, without breaking the bank.

Left to Right: S3 with XM-L2 T6 4C, S2+ Blue with XM-L2 T6 4C, also in Green, but with XM-L2 T6 3B, M1 with XM-L2 T6 4C, C8, with XM-L2 U2 1A De-ndomed with Guppydrive firmware- a little bit on the greenish side, tint-wise, for me; and finally a pair of C8s, with clear finish, and XP-L U3 7A, with Biscotti firmware (currently programmed for 5-modes, from moonlight to blasting).  These are among the warmest LED lights I own, tint-wise.

All of the Convoys are 7135 x 8 (except for the Green S2+, which is a 7135 x 6.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:42:51 PM by david57strat »

Offline cathyli9

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »
In my opinion, pro led flashlight means industrially led flashlight.it should be portable and powerful!I shop one on the brand of Cosmo before.likes it's introduced: Safety & High-efficiency circuit design, Gold plating spring never rust, high-efficiency reflector, a high-end hot releasing system

Offline jacky_w

• BestTacticalFlashlightToday
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »
You cannot go wrong with the PD35! :) I own this flashlight and strongly recommend it to everyone. There is a downside with the batteries but to be honest, I bought 3 rechargeable 18650 that I use in other flashlights and I have never needed to buy any other batteries in the 4 years I have owned it.  Overall its a great tactical flashlight.

Offline halolily17

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
Hello, my name is Lily, in my opinion, nowadays, there are many new brands about the flashlight that contains a good quality. So i will suggest you to consider the Smart Led Flashlight http://bit.ly/2hDMZ18 G90 from COSMO. Tactical Outdoor LED Torch , 800 Lumens, USB Rechargeable, 3400mAh 18650 LI-ION rechargeable battery. I think it's suitable for you. I hope my suggestion will help you.