Author Topic: What flashlight should I get?  (Read 4523 times)

Offline ethan1991

What flashlight should I get?
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:26:49 PM »
 :o Hello, newbie here. I need some recommendations for some good flashlights. I am an electrician in the navy so it needs to be a small flashlight that would fit in your pocket. I would like the most powerful for this size. Price in't a problem. Thank you!

Offline MRsDNF

Re: What flashlight should I get?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
Hi and welcome ethan. What type of battery would you prefer to use? Lithium or NiMH?
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:56:12 PM »
Howdy and welcome aboard.

Lot's of questions to ask before I can narrow it down and give you a really good answer. Like Steve asked, what kind of batteries? How big is pocket sized to you? Front shirt pocket? Jeans pocket, Cargo pocket? Also how bright vs run-time? Do you need this to light up a large room or a small area? Do you want something custom built or store bought?

Just for starters I would suggest something that is High CRI if you will be doing electrical work with it. "Color rendering index" Just means how faithfully a light will reproduce colors. For instance a cool white is brighter than others when it comes to lumens and makes Red pop out. But you might have a hard time telling the difference between an off white and a light yellow.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:36:04 AM »
Hi, Ethan!  Welcome to the TFF family and thank you for your service!  The guys have hit on some important questions and once answered we can help you find the right light for you. ;)

Offline jacktheclipper

• Lounge Lizards
    • Dillard Street Barbershop
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:15:26 AM »
Zebralight headlamp .

Offline ethan1991

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »
Thank you all for the replies!
Batteries : To be honest I don't know which one is better (pretty ironic considering I'm an electrician right  :P). Rechargeable is preferred
Size: Small enough to fit in a cargo pocket
Bright/run time: Something in the middle, really bright for a decent time
I don't need to light up a room a smaller focused beam is just fine
I will take a custom or store bought.

CRI doesn't matter tbh.

Thank you!

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »
This is a light that comes to mind for me. You can get it in a neutral tint which is nice. It's a small triple emitter so it's very bright. It runs off of a single 26650 battery. Get a pair of batteries so you can swap them out. The side switch is really nice and runtime is good with the larger 26650 battery.

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=2067

Here is a review from Johnny Mac

https://johnnymacreviews.wordpress.com/flashlights/dqg-flashlights/dqg-26650-world-smallest-triple-cree-xp-g2-r5-led-flashlight/

Offline kmora008

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 12:12:06 AM »
Hey There,

If you are looking for a light that throws a lot of lumens that fits in your pocket for about $30, check out the Olight S10 Baton -http://edcstuff.net/2015/03/31/olight-s10-baton-xm-l/. If you have more budget, then look at the Fenix Pd22 EUltimate, http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd22-ultimate-edt-led-flashlight/

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 02:00:37 AM »
The DQG Tiny 26650 is a great light but my favorite EDC light for a long time was the Olight S20 Baton.  The S10 is good with similar features and UI but the larger battery in the S20 will serve you better and it's still smaller than most AA lights.  My only complaints with the Olights is the lack of NW which is good for seeing wire colors.

Having just got one I have to recommend the Sunwayman C22C. 18650 cell, 1000 lumens from the front emitter and around 800 from the NW side flood emitter, magnetic tail for super utility, and a deep carry clip.  It's fantastic for the working man!

Offline halolily17

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
If you want a flashlight put on your pocket,i will suggest you buy  Flashlight G30R http://bit.ly/2tsYlFQthat contains good quality.Only 5.96 inches in length.i think will suitable for you.

Offline ilovelight

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 04:15:10 AM »
if you would like to get a small but powerful light for everyday carry within a limited budget, the ON THE ROAD M3 might be an ideal option, as it seems like a clone flashlight of Olight S10.