Author Topic: What is the Best Budget NiMH charger?  (Read 6422 times)

Offline relic38

• Lounge Lizards
What is the Best Budget NiMH charger?
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
I recently discovered that my NiMH charger was not always completely charging my cells.  This had me believing the cells themselves were toast.  I did a charge and discharge cycle on my hobby charger and they all test just fine.
So, I'm looking for the best budget four-bay NiMH charger.  It can be a dedicated NiMH charger, or a combo that also charges Li-Ion cells.  The Li-Ion part is a bonus, not required at all (most of my cells are 4.30V charge).
I have heard real good things about the I4 v2 and the JetBeam Pro version.  HKJ has done some great reviews, which I will be perusing as well.
Thanks in advance!
Welcome the night.

Offline [MOD-BOT]

• Lounge Lizards
  • Master Flashaholic
    • Worldwide Flashlight Forum
Re: What is the Best Budget NiMH charger?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
I just use my regular eneloop charger for it.
It does both AA's and AAA's and its only $23 at Costco and comes with a lot of batteries and adapters.
Your Forum Guard

Offline Chloe

• Lounge Lizards
  • ♡彡
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
I would not bother with the i4 or other variants unless you are really restricted by budget to one charger for both Li-ion and Ni-MH.

Shan SH-168DLCD is a great little budget ni-MH charger, or you can spend a bit more and get a Technoline/Lacrosse which gives you some more charging options.

Offline Nightbird95

• Lounge Lizards
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:37:12 AM »
Why what's wrong with i4s or i2s?

I have cheap NiMH chargers (CDR-King & GP Powerbank) but it takes so long to charge my NiMH cells when I use them. If I need to re-use my NiMH cells immediately, I use my Nitcore i2. Yes the cells heat up but I thought its just normal if I used this types of chargers.

Is it a danger sign? Are i4s & i2s not safe for NiMH cells?

Offline Dkmasikak

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
What has to be read from here is great.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:13:38 AM »
It's not necessarily a danger with NiMHs but it's not great. It will likely reduce your battery life in number of recharges.  Mine get warm too when I charge them...almost hot but my charger gets warm too so I'm not sure which is making more heat.

Offline david57strat

• Lounge Lizards
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »
I started a thread on chargers I'm using (Currently, a pair of XTAR VC4s, VP2s (the second one is not pictured lol.  I just bought it recently), Nitecore D4s, and my first lithium ion/nimh chargers, the i4V2s, which are still working flawlessly today.

The VP2s are the only ones that are not capable of charging anything other than lithium ion batteries.  All are excellent chargers.  The VC4s run very cool, to the touch.  I'm super pleasesd with them.  They support multiple chemistries.

Anyway, here is the link to that thread on EDCF:
http://www.edcforums.com/threads/xtar-vp2-and-vc4-nitecore-i4-v2-and-d4-chargers.121077/

My (almost) most recent setup is found in Post #30 (except for the not-yet-pictured second VP2).

Here is a review of the VC4, found on Budget Light Forum:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/38774

I know this is an older thread, but it may be of interest to someone still looking for a decent charger.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:00:02 AM by david57strat »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »
I have a couple 4 cell Thrunite as well as a 2 cell version that charge nimh and li-ion cells.  I also have a 4 cell charger that charges all chemistry plus gives internal resistance of the cells which is perfect for finding matched cells for use in my multicell monster lights.  I just can't recall the brand and model but I will update with that info shortly.  I think it's only about $25 and takes up to 26650 cells easily.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:13:03 PM by JohnnyMac »

Offline darter22

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »
I've had good results with my Nitecorp Digicharger D2. $16 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW2ZDHQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

Offline NorthernHarrier

• This Space For Rent
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »
I have a Opus BT-C2400 that works very well for my NiMH cells, but for the same price you can get a Xtar VC4 (I own this charger as well) that charges Li-Ion cells and NiMH cells.  Both chargers will charge your NiMH cells safely and efficiently.
I went to the store to buy batteries - but they weren't included, so I had to buy them again.  -- Steven Wright