Author Topic: What was the last flashlight you used and what was it used for?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Henk4U2

Re: What was the last flashlight you used and what was it used for?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 01:03:26 AM »
Spent a week in the Eiffel with the missus. The path to the restaurant was a bit dim lit. So I used the Thorfire VG10 I bought for less than €12 at a sale on Amazon. And now it is my favorite EDC light.
I always think long and hard before I say something stupid.

Offline TKC

• “There is no need for temples, no need for complic
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »
I used my brightest light (Malkoff Wildcat V6.) to scan the yards for a skunk, before I let the dog out. I don't want her to have ANOTHER encounter with the "stinky kitty."
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 12:48:52 AM »
I used a flashlight to take pictures of flashlights.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:54:36 AM by bykfixer »
John 3:16

Offline TomFR

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »
Nitecore TIP for walking back to the car after staying out too long on the trail during a day hike.
Obsessed with knives, lights, and finding the best survival gear and outdoor tools

Offline tinol

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 03:41:46 AM »
Ummm just got it so I just shined it into my back yard and up into the trees and I heard some passers by say WTF was that (they didn't see me). Being its late, I just turned it off and went inside LOL.   Its now very old tech / old school but got this Coast HP21 for cheap so wanted to test it out.

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2017, 10:22:59 PM »
I used my ROP'd 2C Mag to turn off my next door neighbors light sensing porch light....from about 250' away. lol

Later I used my 10D BrightStar to turn off the neighbor 3 doors downs' light sensing porch light. That 4-1/2" mirror shiney reflector throws the beam of a #258 bulb like it was shot out of a bazooka.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2017, 02:15:58 AM »
I used my ROP'd 2C Mag to turn off my next door neighbors light sensing porch light....from about 250' away. lol

Later I used my 10D BrightStar to turn off the neighbor 3 doors downs' light sensing porch light. That 4-1/2" mirror shiney reflector throws the beam of a #258 bulb like it was shot out of a bazooka.
LOL!  That's awesome. You don't see many folks using ROP mags these days. Certainly something I'd like to add to my collection one day even if the newest LED throwers can top them. How far can it legitimately reach out?  I have a TN42 that can reach out a legit mile. Since that one I have little need for another thrower but an ROP mags sure would be fun to play with.

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2017, 07:02:09 PM »
Johnny, I do not know the distance vs cd and all that. I can say that last summer while walking along the shore of a river bank at a dark campground on a cloudy night it was shining as far as the gasoline powered golf cart headlights that kept whizzing by me.

I lucked up and acquired an old school one with a custom made reflector (before those kadomains arrived), a clear glass borofloat, an upgraded switch assembly and a copper braid in the tailcap section. It has a lanyard ring/spacer to add a wee bit of length to the body so the tailcap closes down proper using 2 high ouptput 18650's inside a (Mag 2C) Delrin sleeve. The seller included 4 twin packs of hi/lo bulbs as well.
The crazy part? $65 shipped. I couldn't have built it for that. Heck 4 packs of bulbs (if you can find them) would be nearly that much these days.

I did some Mag ML25 IT incans with currently available stuff in an effort to keep them stock. Using a 2C platform with a 'natural gas' sized 3/4" section of pipe, a pair of gentle LifePo4 18500 solar light batteries and a 4 cell bi-pin gets about 200 lumens with no melting of the stock parts. So I did a 3C version with a pair of 1amp 18650's, same pipe and a Streamlight TL3 bulb. I cut off 1-1/3 coils of the spring to relieve the pressure on the batteries. That one melts the stock reflector ever-so-slightly near the bulb.
I did a full size 2C same as the 2C ML25 and it works great. With the larger reflector it throws well. The stock lens was for a krypton so there is a nice gap between the bi-pin and the lens. (Read: no melting).

Oh, in the ML's I use the slightly diffused acrylite lenses Chris started making for ML's at flash light lens dot com for a super nice, artifact free beam with no loss in output.

One day I asked him if he'd make me some glass for the new ML25's. He responded "you betcha" and added those sized lenses to his lineup. He sent me some acrylites while the glass was being made. Super nice for cool running lights, and using in 15 or so minute intervals have held up well in my hotwire'd ML25's. In my 3C ML the reflector melted near the bulb a bit but the lens is fine.

Alright, I'm way off topic, so btt... Today I used my PK Design Lab PR-1 on low, at a right angle near the floor to cause a shadow from the tiny screw I dropped while fixing the wife's eyeglasses.

Offline sgt253

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
LOL!  That's awesome. You don't see many folks using ROP mags these days. Certainly something I'd like to add to my collection one day even if the newest LED throwers can top them. How far can it legitimately reach out?  I have a TN42 that can reach out a legit mile. Since that one I have little need for another thrower but an ROP mags sure would be fun to play with.
[/quote]

Speak for yourself! LOL!!! :D  Used an ROP LE to light up a couple of suspicious cars on the block...

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
Lately I'm working at night observing asphalt paving on a wagon trail that was discovered by civilization and is now a shortcut from Yupi-topia to the confines of their inner suburbian cubicle laden offices.

Tonight it was very foggy. Lately my trusty Coast HP7 and it's slightly blue tint beam has provided the correct tint for given situations where CRI is irrelevant, yet illumination of textures and flaws in the mat is a daunting experience with most of my flashlights. Being it is a zoomy it provides a spread of light, a pencil beam or somewhere in between as situations dictate.

In the thick fog a pencil beam was drilling a hole through the moisture to ID trees and wires in great detail so the trucks that deliver the asphalt to the job can raise a bed and know when to lower it before they rip something overhead down.

Case in point:
Floody lights or broad beam'd lights blind us in this dense fog as all of that moisture is lit up. In the photo a truck approaches a famous old maple tree at a famous old church (circa 1808) that if damaged would have us all doing some explaining.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:19:20 AM by bykfixer »