Author Topic: Mystery bulb  (Read 540 times)

Offline natman

Mystery bulb
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »
I need a new bulb for an incandescent 2 AA flashlight. The only marking on the flashlight is KOREA. The only marking on the bulb is 2.4V KOR. It's a small bulb, only .62" long and .24" in diameter at the body.

I'd prefer another incandescent bulb because this flashlight is used to navigate around the house / hotels at night and I don't want a really bright light for this application. Thanks for your help.

Offline bykfixer

Re: Mystery bulb
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
Yikes!! That's a tough one.

Ima see what Bulb Town dot com shows. Be right back...

http://www.bulbtown.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=261
This one may work.

If you could provide some pix of how the bulb fastens to the light that can help us help you.

Could be a simple #222 or 224 could work as well.
http://www.bulbtown.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=222

I hope it's ok to provide links. I just figured PM's to a member with 1 post may not be possible.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:43:35 AM by bykfixer »
John 3:16

Offline natman

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:47:24 AM »
Neither of those are quite right, but thanks for the tip about Bulb town. I think I found it there, #368:

http://www.bulbtown.com/368_Miniature_Bulb_Midget_Flange_Base_p/368.htm

It pushes into a collar from below, hence the need for a flange on the bottom.

Now that I have a number, it's time to see if I can find one locally.

Again, thanks!

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
Cool!!

Let us know please.

Offline natman

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »
It turns out that this bulb is made in a variety of voltages ranging from 2.4 to 110 volts. I managed to find a 268 bulb at the local electronics store. It's 2.5 volts but lower wattage. It's not quite as bright as the original bulb was, but given the application that's not really a bad thing, so I'm up and running until I run across a 368 locally. I'd love to patronize Bulb Town, but shipping is prohibitive on such a small order.

Radio Shack used to be good for this sort of thing. There used to be four Radio Shack stores within reasonable driving distance, but they are all gone now.  :-[

Thanks again for your help. 

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »
Nice!!

I'd not considered the shipping vs cost of a bulb. Being a bulb horder I buy them in groups of ten to make sure part of my estate is to divy up all those light bulbs as I made sure to have at least a lifetime supply.

But seriously as LED's become more prominent light bulbs are getting harder to acquire, so I buy boxes of 10 at a time.

I miss Radio Shack. Batteries Plus Bulbs is ok, but Radio Shack it aint.

Offline natman

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »
Let's see, the original bulb lasted at least ten years, so if I bought ten I'd be good for the next hundred years or so. That is if the 368 is indeed the correct bulb. Not to mention that ten bulbs would cost twice as much as the flashlight did in the first place.

All in all I think I'll stick with what I have.  ;)