Author Topic: The Bykfixer collection  (Read 3304 times)

Offline bykfixer

The Bykfixer collection
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:39:02 AM »
Here are some of my collection. Suffice to say it is still growing.

A few Maglites

Dog House Supply

A SureFire G2 rechargeable conversion kit.

All of these arrived one day.

These arrived another day.

Some double A lights

Some more Maglites

Some Eveready Captains

Some right angle lights.

Some lights, bulbs and parts

More lights and parts

Vintage Streamlights

Vintage Streamlight bulbs etc

The lanyard collection

More Maglites

Malkoff'd lights

Lights from my work truck

My desk

Aviator lights

A few 6P's

An old 6P

Some minimags

Brinkmann minimag clones

Sigma 2aa

Sigma 2aa bulbs

A few Streamlights

NIP Streamlight Solitaire clone

More Streamlights

HIPCO triplets

Mug of penlights

Pelicans (note M6 has a 1k drop in)

8 lumens for $8..

A wide variety of lights

Some SureFires.

An ARC shirt

Some relics

Officer and enlisted WW 1 issued Eveready Soldier Boys

Some pocket sized

Bedside table

Near the bedside table

Some PK Design Lab stuff

PK inspired stuff

More PK stuff

PK prototypes

Some light bulbs

Some more light bulbs

A few more relics

Some Pentagons

More Pentagons

Some Inovas

A 6D, a 7D and a 9D

Scout lights

Random selection here

6 volt cop lights

That's it for now.... that is about half.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:05:48 PM by bykfixer »
John 3:16

Offline irongate

Re: The Bykfixer collection
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:21:12 PM »
I really feel so sorry for you that you do not have very many flashlights and not very many around your bed-so sad :'(

LOL My friend

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »
The good book tells a story of David vs Goliath. History shows it took a few stones to complete the task. Hence all those 'stones' on the bedside table.

Now a few of those vintages I restored from non working, some arrived like new. And it all began with a Coast HP7 my wife confiscated. I needed a brighter light than my incan mini mag at work one night. I went to a nearby Lowes and bought an HP7, Energizer Hard Case and a Lux-Pro... the collecting began that night.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:06:44 PM by bykfixer »

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 05:23:42 AM »
Just scored a minty Stewart R Browne F-81x with less than a minute to go.

A WW2 era, Army issue light that was used in places where static electricity could ignite a bunch of fuel. Miners, gas and oil pipe workers, phone company workers in manholes, railroad yard workers, pilots, and lots of other intrinsicley safe uses were met by the F-81x.

The Navy version has USN on it where this one has US.

Stewart R Browne lights are in the Smithsonian in a "first plastic flashlights" display from stuff Mr. Browne was using way back in or about 1918. The company still exists today.

Also recently scored a Laser Products 6R, which was the 6P with a rechargeable battery.

These were reportedly nowhere near as popular as the 2 cell version but that means they are rare... and cheap.

I managed to score a GT Price Smoke Cutter for less than the shipping cost.

Formerly a company called LA Screw made these lights that contained a 're-reflector' setup and some other proprietory tech that aided a fireman in a burning building. In time  famous for their TL-122 and MX-991 light maker GT Price acquired LA Screw. Reportedly later Don Keller acquired GT Price and rekindled Kel-Lite briefly with some 2x AA lights.

A genuine LA Screw Code 4 3+2= 5D with a never produced in mass toggle switch. LA Screw used a switch assembly that could be placed between barrel segments for better balance on the longer lights. GT Price designed a no "click to on" toggle switch that had LA Screw distributors say "not no but hellno!!" so it never went into serious production.

East meets West,

Next to the green Mag is a 4D Streamlight made from the 3rd generation Kel-Lite design shortly after Norm Nelson sold Kel-Lite designs to Streamlight to pay off debt... Norm was hired by Don to help get the company out of debt and at one point ended up running Kel-Lite so founder Don Keller left in 1973.
For clarity I do not say that to tarnish anyones name or reputation. See, Kel-Lite's success was a problem. Selling lots of lights meant more equipment was required to keep up with demand, which led to more success, that led to more equipment required, which led to more success, which led to....
Streamlight had the resources to keep up.

Meanwhile Tony Maglica was making some over flow stuff for Kel-Lite and Bianchi B-Lites. He was a shrewd man who had been making stuff for the US government and had acquired a stellar reputation as an exellent, dedicated machinist. When Mag Instruments was founded in '74 Tony was ready for the task of making flashlights. He also had the know how to produce much of the machinery required. So with flashlight veteran Don Keller along side Maglite changed the world of flashlights by 1979.

The photo shows that parts of early Maglite and Kel-Lite stuff could be interchanged. It also shows Streamlight made in both Pa and Ca.

Back to Don Keller,

A pair of early, very rare Brinkmanns
Don went to Brinkmann and developed a bunch of lights after parting ways with Maglite. The pair shown are low production numbers being an Eddie Bauer promo 3C and a gold plated 3x AA executive model.

Another Keller company, the Sigmalite

Only made for about a year, this was the answer to the minimag folks were begging for. Clicky tailcap so their favorite beam could be saved or stealth tactics could be used with one hand.

Even more rare Sigmalite bulbs.

A pair of Justrite aviator lights. Top is WW2 issue and bottom is Korean Conflict era. 2x AA lights using #222 or #224 bulbs and a sliding device which slides a red cover over the bulb. Both have a signal ability or full time on/off. The top one is an alluminum tipped Stewart R Browne Tuffite body with a pocket clip sliding switch. The bottom is all alluminum with a twisty tail cap switch akin to 1990's 2x123 cop lights.

The light that led to Polyester Streamlights

The Pro-Light Phaser Lights PLC20 rechargeable. All plastic except for the reflector module that strongly resembles the early Streamlite SL20.

Last but not least,

The Bianchi B-Lites 2D. This little heavyweight throws a pencil beam like it was shot from a rifle while providing tons of spill.

And an nip switch assembly.

That's it for now...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:10:09 PM by bykfixer »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
Wow! Fantastic information! Thanks for sharing.

I'm digging that Bianchi B-lites 2D

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:59:03 PM »
I like it a lot Johnnie. It arrived with nearly all of the chrome gone from the clear plastic reflector. I thought I was stuck with a room lighter with only a slight bit of throw unless I invested in some kind of re-chrome materials.

Well I lucked up and found some new parts for LA Screw lights including a metal reflector made by Qualtech back then. I noticed the like new reflector in the LA Screw light looked awfully similar to that B-Lite reflector that I had painted white (to boost the throw a bit). Lo-n-behold it was the same reflector!! It also turns out that a Maglite lens works. It now has a Mag White Star bulb and a flashlightlens.com ultra-clear glass lens. And it beats the pants off of my 2D Maglite for brightness and throw. Only my 4C Mag with 3 cell krypton bulb can beat it.

But my favorite part was the "super star" sticker on the taiicap.

I like to think it came from a policemans kid. But it was an eBay item so I don't know the actual history.

The plastic Pro-Light I showed has the officers badge number on the bezel and the charger, while that Sigmalite has FPD engraved from a Fresno California police mans estate.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:10:50 PM by bykfixer »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »
That's great!    :D

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »
My appologies for all of the pix being gone.
(Edit: all better for now anyway)

Photobucket decided to charge users nearly $40/mth to allow them to be viewed. Not gonna happen.
When I find a viable alternative they will be replaced.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:00:53 PM by bykfixer »

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »

Here's a couple few from my den. Incans, LED's, new and old. Ages from 1911 to 2017.

California Company Cop Lights.
Custom white reflector bottom left is for turning some into close quarter tactical flood only lights. Rechargeable batteries for hot wired numbers. Once the Pony Express gets a few more delivered there'll be unseen gaps in the photo filled. Also unseen is extra barrels to change some into different cell'd (even brighter/longer) numbers lickety split. Lots of repair parts too.
Unseen gaps will be filled soon with more incoming.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:10:35 AM by bykfixer »

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 09:23:28 AM »

Added the first LED in a while.
Minty Pelican 2390 with original batteries from 2008.
A silver 2320 is scheduled to arrive soon.

Offline cathyli9

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
awesome!!both of collection is classes, so would you buy some new version outdoor led flashlight??some of then belongs to the mini led flashlight.

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
Now that the pix are back maybe that'll help answer the question. I have lots of "new" lights. But to collect those fashion of the week brightest today, replaced by brighter tomorrow cheap chinese tin toys? Nah.
Brightness and all those gimmicks of 22 second turbos bore me to tears.

I'd rather tweak a couple hundred lumens from a minty 1971 2C cop light.

One of 2 produced in 2015. Only 1 of those clips (so far)

A prototype of an upcoming clip for a 2016 1xaaa light

Maglite ML25IT #71 when they first came out...

3 new Kel-Lites from the man himself
A 1st gen 2C, a 1st gen big head 3D and a small head 2nd gen 2D

Bottom a 2D Mag from the 80's
Top a modern Mag 2D with high output Malkoff module, gin clear glass and metal reflector

Early Tekna lights

Top is a 4C 1st gen Kel-Lite, (a former owner removed the finish)
Bottom a 90's 4C Mag using a 3 cell krypton bulb to pump out extra photons.

Top to bottom
Monadnock edition 5D (very early) LA Screw Code 4
1980's 2D Mag with lanyard tail cap
LA Screw Smoke Cutter head and tailcap on a Code 4.

The silver Pelican M6 with a SureFire P60 installed
Contrary to popular belief the P60 fits early M6's just fine.

Box-o-Mag parts.
Service technician replenish kit contains enough stuff to fix all my neighbors Maglites... old and new type

My mantle circa... the other day
SureFires, Icons, PKDL's, Maglites, Pro-Lights, Streamlights, LA Screws, Kel-Lites, a B-Lite, Brinkmanns and some spare parts on display. Probably other stuff too.

Top to bottom
1st gen Kel-Lite with medium head
1st gen Kel-Lite 2C with Kel-Lite prototype LED drop in
Don built 10 1st gens with a medium head for a movie producer and 1 for yours truely.
He also...

Hooked me up with prototype #13

Not only is it proprietary Kel-Lite shaped it has a special dome which casts psuedo filament shadows

Let's see... anything else?...

The search and rescue collection has begun...

That's it for now
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:57:02 PM by bykfixer »

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 07:35:18 AM »

Wiped the dust off this one recently
1st generation Coast HP7R

Mugen edition. The only one.

Mail call: top to bottom
LA Screw Code 4 replica 3D Brinkmann Legend
Pelican 2320 pre-P60 swap
1998 Ford Quality Care 3C Maglite

The PK inspired SureFire family portait 2017

Speaking of SureFire:

eBay seller had sets of 20 of these for $25.
I bought 2 sets...

Elzetta Bones with quick change magazine

Kel-Lite family photo
Lights on left have certifications that they came from Don Kellers collection. The silver one came from an auction.

Kel-Lite die cut stickers.
Only 5 sheets of 4 stickers each were produced.

Coming soon, a 2D BrinkmannLegend Snap On edition that was never produced. Only 6 samples were made.
And some Maglite drop in modules designed by Don Keller before Maglite had any LED lights available.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:41:36 AM by bykfixer »

Offline cathyli9

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 09:19:18 AM »
wow!amazing collection!!many classes products included!but if you're interested in the new version led flashlight, seems like 90 outdoor led torch, just have a look!!

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »

#6 of 6 Snap On sample by Brinkmann
It was reported that 5 were given to Snap On folks to evaluate and #6 was stashed. Snap On said "no thanx" so no more were made.

Has a high switch and a low switch.
Focuses like a Maglite with a Brinkmann twist... better shaped reflector for max spill without the hole while still preserving a nice spot when adjusted to flood mode.
Irony? It came with a Maglite bulb in it.

Speaking of Maglite...

Once upon a time Maglite made drop in modules.
Circa 2006 Mag made drop in modules to double the brightness of a 4 cell light and drastically increase runtime. I managed to score a few.

Coming soon...
New in Box 3D B-Lite by Bianchi.