Author Topic: The Flashlight Emporium... Forever gone?  (Read 9454 times)

Offline [MOD-BOT]

• Lounge Lizards
  • Master Flashaholic
    • Worldwide Flashlight Forum
The Flashlight Emporium... Forever gone?
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:01 AM »
I just noticed that TFE is in maintenance mode, so I'm guessing it will become defunct soon?
Your Forum Guard

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
Re: The Flashlight Emporium... Forever gone?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »
Yeah the original site will soon be defunct unfortunately but we own the TFE domain name so will redirect it to here instead.

While I don't want to speak badly about Createaforum because after all without those guys we wouldn't have been where we are today with the knowledge to build a new site like this with our own server. The problem was the massive restrictions of being able to build and grow unhindered. We did consider their ultimate plan but it's a bit too costly and still didn't give us the control we need.

The final nail in the coffin was that there was no getting away from the Ten or so tracking cookies imposed when visiting a Createaforum site which I'm fundamentally against.

So this is we we are today. The reason behind the domain name change is not because we didn't love our flashlight emporium domain but because we have something else up our sleeves planned which will all make sense later down the road :)

I hope you like the new site and find it works much faster than the old one. I've already noticed the big improvement in overall speed.

Cheers

Spas

Offline [MOD-BOT]

• Lounge Lizards
  • Master Flashaholic
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
I do like it, one question though...
For all your work, did you ever consider. vB4?

Your Forum Guard

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:45:23 PM »
I do like it, one question though...
For all your work, did you ever consider. vB4?

We definitely did consider it and I do like the options and fantastic customize abilities but with a $300+ price tag it was a little out of our reach. I'm looking failry intently at Xenforo though which seems pretty nice and about 1/3rd of the price :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:45:53 PM by Spasmod »

Offline [MOD-BOT]

• Lounge Lizards
  • Master Flashaholic
The Flashlight Emporium... Forever gone?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
Okay, well if you have a PayPal account, I'm sure a couple people such as I could donate for it.
That's the catch really, a massive forum with massive features with a massive price, or a good forum with good features for a good price, or a free forum with no features for a no-price...
Your Forum Guard

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:33:16 PM »
Okay, well if you have a PayPal account, I'm sure a couple people such as I could donate for it.
That's the catch really, a massive forum with massive features with a massive price, or a good forum with good features for a good price, or a free forum with no features for a no-price...

Thanks for the kind offer though I do actually like this SMF software, it's very customizable though it's not immediately apparent if there's not a Modification that fits your needs.

For example, I thought the fonts in posts were too small and it took me some time to figure out how to change 'Just' the post fonts without affecting the entire forum :D

They're much easier to read now though :)

The possibilities are immense, it's just not that easy compared with inbuilt features of other packages.

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »
Just a quick word of warning regarding your .TK domain

We also used a .TK domain initially only to find out it was a scam. What they do is wait for your site to start generating traffic, once it does they will then take your domain away and replace it with a placeholder page for various advertisments.

It doesn't happen to everyone but it happened to us and it was a huge pain at the time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:46:58 PM by Spasmod »

Offline [MOD-BOT]

• Lounge Lizards
  • Master Flashaholic
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 05:04:09 AM »
Just a quick word of warning regarding your .TK domain

We also used a .TK domain initially only to find out it was a scam. What they do is wait for your site to start generating traffic, once it does they will then take your domain away and replace it with a placeholder page for various advertisments.

It doesn't happen to everyone but it happened to us and it was a huge pain at the time.

I've heard about this, Spasmod.
I'm pretty sure I won't be getting as much traffic as you guys, however if the evitable happens, I will just create a new one.

I mainly use my forums for fun, I don't expect them to get popular or for actual use.

Thanks for thinking of it though.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:00:24 PM by [MOD-BOT] »
Your Forum Guard

Offline Chloe

• Lounge Lizards
  • ♡彡
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:33:29 AM »
Will links to TFE automatically redirect to here?

I noticed some places still link to TFE and the maintenance mode page doesn't redirect or have a clickable url for this forum.

Offline [MOD-BOT]

• Lounge Lizards
  • Master Flashaholic
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
Will links to TFE automatically redirect to here?

I noticed some places still link to TFE and the maintenance mode page doesn't redirect or have a clickable url for this forum.

This is actually a good idea, however it does cost money to have a .com domain, therefore they will either need to keep paying for it, or it will go bye bye.
Your Forum Guard

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »
Yeah in a couple of days (if not sooner) the flashlightemporium domain will redirect to here :)

Would have been sooner but Johnny reminded me about an email I must have deleted :D

Offline MRsDNF

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
I haven't heard that one before. I must remember it. A deleted email. :)
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:52:42 PM »
I haven't heard that one before. I must remember it. A deleted email. :)
  ;D ;D

Offline Chloe

• Lounge Lizards
  • ♡彡
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:48 AM »
Is it weird I think of this forum as "TFE" even though it's a different name now?

Offline MRsDNF

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 07:10:40 AM »
Have a few drinks Chloe. I seem to forget a lot of things this way.  ;)
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.