Author Topic: How safe are unprotected 14500's?  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Dancer

How safe are unprotected 14500's?
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
I bought a pair of unprotected Xtar 14500's by mistake for my Xeno E03 EDC (I usually use the protected ones) . Does anyone know if this flashlight has a built-in protection circuit? I  worry about having unprotected Li batteries in my pocket....

Offline gords1001

• Lounge Lizards
    • budget light forum
Re: How safe are unprotected 14500's?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
I honestly don't know if the xeno is li ion rated and even so, if it offers low voltage protection. 

I would usually suggest. fitting a nanjg driver, but I doubt it'll fit in an aa light and you'd lose your primary cell capability

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:43:02 PM »
Dancer, the Xeno doesn't have low voltage protection, so using an unprotected Li-Ion 14500 in it could pose a risk.  Would it bother me? Not really.  I actually prefer to use unprotected cells but many others gasp in horror at even the thought of such a thing. 

As long as you don't drain it too far there are no issues.  A single unprotected Li-Ion cell poses little to no risk.  It's when there are two or more in series in a light that one needs be the most careful.  The E03 loves 14500 cells in it and becomes a great light when you use them.  On NiMH or Alkaline it fails to impress me.  Just watch the output and as soon as you see a noticable drop in output it's time to charge the 14500.

Offline Dancer

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:43:13 PM »
Thanks for the info Johnny. You're right the EO3 is a great little light on 14500's - I have been running it on an AW protected battery with no problems. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, after grovelling around a dimly lit hall trying to fix cable connections, I accidentally put the light in my jacket pocket still running on low - discovered it a day later still running and only warm. I'll try not to do that again ....

Offline Sikoyami

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »
The presentations brought out with great featured content actually applied.