Author Topic: What to do with your old J-19 driver? Try it with an MT-G2  (Read 3512 times)

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
What to do with your old J-19 driver? Try it with an MT-G2
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:23:21 AM »
Wondering what to do with your spare J-19 driver? Try it with an MT-G2 it works great.

I did my first de-domed MT-G2 tonight and put it in a ZY-T08. Not as many lumens as a DRY driver but still very respectable and it's not overheating this host at all. If I had to guess I would say that it's actually 4.8amps to the driver. I have no way to test it other than by eye but It's not far short in lumens from the DRY

In case you are wondering I modded the battery carrier to series and removed the flat bottom part of the reflector. It outthrows a stock ZY-T08 and has tons of flood as well. This was one of the $20 ones from Wallbuys. So about $40 total for a pretty kick ass light.

I also used one of these driver in the same host with a de-domed XM-L2 U2 A1 and it also rocks in tube socks. It could also be pushed harder but I'm not going to, it's already an amazing amount of throw and I'm happy with it. At $25 it's pretty hard to beat for a smallish thrower.

Offline MRsDNF

Re: What to do with your old J-19 driver? Try it with an MT-G2
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:26:30 AM »
Very creative 18sixfifty. I dont know what the heat sinking is like but after  10 or so minutes it should start to get warm to hot if your running around 5 amps. Looks like you have got yourself a nice all round light. I wish I had some triples to compare mine to. Love it.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: What to do with your old J-19 driver? Try it with an MT-G2
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »
Yeah, man, that light sounds awesome!  I destroyed my J19 driver to use it as a contact plate for the replacement driver so I no longer have it to try this with.  I may try something similar with this on a Tk35 clone I have.  I've been thinking of putting an MT-G2 into one.  If I don't do it to that I will likely to it to a spare ZY-08 I have or one of my ZY-13.  One day... :D