Author Topic: 32650 battery comparison.  (Read 4869 times)

Offline MRsDNF

32650 battery comparison.
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:12:43 PM »
This is just a quick comparison of two 32650 batteries.

Protected KD battery link.   Wallbuys Trustfire Flame protected battery link (non protected supplied).

The batteries ordered from Wallbuys were the protected versions. What turned up were non protected. Packaging from both companies was extremely poor. Each individual battery was in an antistatic bag, wrapped in a thin piece of bubble wrap and placed in the typical thinly padded envelope. I was surprised there was no damage to any of the batteries.

All tests were carried out on an i Charger 208B. Discharge was 3 amps.

This picture was just to show the 3 amp discharge rate.

Both batteries starting voltage was a rested 4.22 volts. Discharge was stopped at 2.7 volts. The Trustfire left had a capacity of 6525mAh. Resting voltage at the completion was 3.31 volts. KD battery right measured 6209mAh with a resting voltage of 3.34 volts.

Resistance. TF left KD right.

Current draw in my monster light with 9 amp driver on high with 3 batteries in series. TF left. KD right. On the light meter there was no real difference in light output with the different currents. Is the difference here from the higher resistance in the KD battery causing the driver to draw more current?

And finally the measurements. TF 65.5mm (flat top) long, 32.5mm diameter. KD 69.9mm long, 32.76mm in diameter.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:13:49 PM by MRsDNF »
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
Re: 32650 battery comparison.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »
That's a great comparison Steve and very handy to know. I'm a little confused though about the higher voltage drop on the TF since the internal resistance is lower and you said the output of the light was virtually the same.

Kinda weird, I can't get my head around why - perhaps I'm missing something ?

Thanks for doing the test

PS.. your name came up in the vaping community - I think some people (me & Johnny included) want you to design and make a Mod or two :P

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »
Nice testing, Steve!  I think it's cool your charger measures internal resistance.  Now I wonder if mine does as well.  Will need to check that out.  I've always been a fan of genuine TF cells.  I think they get a bad rap due to the clones but the real ones have never let me down.  That low internal resistance is great and I think you'd see much greater differences if tested at 5A or higher.

Thanks for the great work as always!  8)

As for the vape mods, you could make some serious money with your skills.  I've considered asking you to work some magic on one for me but it'll have to wait until I'm in a position to pay you properly.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:44:03 PM »
Thanks again for the testing.

I'll third the e-cig thing. You could make a bundle with your skills. Not that I could afford your talents right now.

As for the trustfire batteries I agree that real ones are good cells. I can remember lots of guys testing the real ones years back on CPF and they did really well, especially for the money. I still have quite a few of the older trustfire batteries and they are still working good. It just stinks that you never really know what you are going to get with them.