Author Topic: You know you have too many flashlights when....  (Read 5910 times)

Offline jmpaul320

You know you have too many flashlights when....
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:14:26 AM »
So I spent an nearly hour tonight looking for 4 eneloops I was convinced were lost.

Let me back up a bit.

I have 50+ eneloops... Some are 2nd gen... Some are 3rd.... Some are duraloop.... And some are xx. They're all labeled and dated and I know how many cycles they all have. Don't ask lol.

Tonight I was topping them all off. They're all kept in plastic cases except one set in my d40a-vn. About an hour after I started charging them I noticed a set of 4 was missing. My second set of 3rd gen eneloops I bought last fall. I know this because I bought 2 blister packs of 4 on amazon and labelled them ea8. A light I never got because the order got map canceled. I kept the cells but never got the light.

I tore apart my bags and light drawers for nearly a half hour. I even looked up the amazon invoice to make sure I wasn't crazy and actually ordered 8. My wife even started looking for them just so she could end the madness.

After about 45 mins plus I quit and declared them lost and poured myself a drink And flipped on the TV.

Now nearly 3 hours later I just went upstairs to put a light back on my shelf. I put it right next to my starry light sa22 blf edition. A light that was sitting there the whole time with my eneloops in it.

Oh god why.

I nearly pooped myself.

I completely forgot about that light.

My wife doesn't think I'm crazy now.... She has proof.

I don't member her exact words ... But something like... "Someone as smart as you shouldn't have problems like THIS."

LOL.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:16:14 AM by jmpaul320 »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: You know you have too many flashlights when....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:08:15 AM »
LOL! Nice :) I think we've all been there at some point.

On another note... Vinh mods the D40A? Details please! I thought it was just perfect as is.

Offline _the_

• Flashaholic
  • Lounge Lizards
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 05:27:36 AM »
LOL, same thing has happened to me, multiple times. :)

Last time I lost one white Eneloop from a set of four. I searched and searched, but couldn't figure out where it was.. Until my wife asked me to replace a cell in her headlamp;D

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
If the same thing 'Did' happen to me - my wife certainly wouldn't be calling me smart :P something different most likely  :-X :o

Offline jmpaul320

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »

On another note... Vinh mods the D40A? Details please! I thought it was just perfect as is.

All modes are factory except turbo is around 5 amps for about 1500 lumen.

He can dedome too but mine is t6 4c with dome on :)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »

All modes are factory except turbo is around 5 amps for about 1500 lumen.

He can dedome too but mine is t6 4c with dome on :)

Unbelievable!  :o

Offline jmpaul320

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »
Its in my carry on bag now for my trip :)

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »
LOL yep my wife too has gotten sick and tired of helping me find stuff that is flashlight related. Where did I put those drivers? I know I have one more or did you move the emitters etc etc etc. I'm looking for a sony 18650 right now. I'm sure it's in a light or an e-cig but I can't find it. I gave up for now, it's playing hide and seek and I'm sure it will  hungry or thirsty, need to use the John, something and come out sometime.  ;)

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
You sent that Sony battery to me. I'm using it but can send you a settheplaneonfire battery back to replace it if you like. It is rated at 45 billion mAh so should be better than the crappy Sony you sent me.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 01:25:02 AM »
You sent that Sony battery to me. I'm using it but can send you a settheplaneonfire battery back to replace it if you like. It is rated at 45 billion mAh so should be better than the crappy Sony you sent me.

LOL I have a few of those 45 billion mAh's around anyway, so just keep it!!

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 11:08:02 PM »
Too many lights?

Blasphemy I tell ya...

I used to keep batteries in every one of my flashlights. After a while I found myself plucking cells from some to use in others. Gradually I just started removing cells from lights that are display only to ensure there is a stockpile handy for the ones scattered about in ' sudden lights out' positioning.

It just didn't seem practical to store batteries in lights from the early 1900's and not have a readily available stockpile for modern lights. I also discovered over time that parasitic drain did not begin with electronic switches. At times I'd go to use a 1aa jewel thief bedside table light (for example) from the 50's for 2am nature calls and it not work. Try the one nearby. Nope. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? In daylight they'd work with a new cell, and the current were dead, dead, dead!

Basically if it don't have a lockout feature, it don't stay in the 'has to work' spots throughout my home and vehicles. Rechargeable, alkaline or lithium is irrelevant if it's dead when you need it.

Nowadays my wife knows where the spare batteries are, which lights are loaded and carries at least 3 on her person at all times. She was in the can at a dept store when the lights went out one day. I received a text thanking me for putting a Streamlight keymate on the zipper pull of her purse and now she keeps a 1aaa carabiner'd to her belt loop (in case she's not near her purse or car keys).

Too many lights?

Never
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:10:01 PM by bykfixer »
John 3:16

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 02:20:54 AM »
Hahaha...never!  Yeah, even a cell in a light switch mechanical lockout will eventually self-discharge. Nature of the beast. My wife is always complaining that my lights don't work because there is never a cell in it when she needs it. I just tell her she's grabbing the wrong ones.