Author Topic: Market research  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Adam-firelight

Market research
« on: May 23, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
I'm trying to put together some market information for LED flashlights together and was wondering if anyone knows of a good source for more information.

Offline MRsDNF

• Global Moderator
Re: Market research
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:29:58 PM »
What is the aim of the market research?
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »
Flashlight wiki and the cree site have a lot of good info. Or of course you can hang out on forums like this and see what people like and dislike. For most of us that have been at it a while a couple things come to mind. Nicer tints and no blinkies for starts. Also it's very annoying to see all the inflated claims regarding lumens. A little honestly in advertising would go a long way.

Online JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
What 18sixfifty said plus one more...no PWM in the lower modes!

Offline Adam-firelight

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »

I'm putting together a business plan. I'm having a hard time finding any solid info about the flashlight industry. 

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »
Well then you need to first find out who your buyers are. There are all kinds of buyers for flashlights. Are you planning on selling to the average guy on the street or Flashaholics who really know all about lights and collect them? That is two completely different targets.

Are you planning on selling on-line or having a storefront? Are you going to be manufacturing lights or importing them?

Still tons of questions really. But if you want to research it then break it down into the core components. Start with emitters, batteries, drivers (circuit boards), chargers and hosts (bodies).

I have no idea really who buys the most flashlights but I'm pretty sure that places like Wallyworld and Home depot have the average guy out there covered already. If what you are trying to do is appeal to guys like us. Collectors and such then you really need to know what makes a light great. That is the newest and best emitters and drivers and hosts. For that you need to know all about the individual parts and how they function together as a unit.

It would help a ton if you said exactly what kind of business you are talking about. 

Offline Gj

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »

I'm putting together a business plan. I'm having a hard time finding any solid info about the flashlight industry.
You mean to say the the flashlight industry is keeping you in the dark?  :o

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:19:35 PM by Gj »