Author Topic: Lets build a 1.2-5.5v driver that takes a 13A  (Read 15815 times)

Offline WarHawk-AVG

Re: Lets build a 1.2-5.5v driver that takes a 13A
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 04:31:11 AM »
Yeah, those Tiny10's are nice...does it require a special programmer,  and/or would a programming board like I made for the Tiny13 work?

So we just need to build the booster, design in the Tiny10 w/ FET and go from there.

Think you can whip up a schematic?

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
Our regular USBASP's will do them. I like the tiny10 cause it has an EEPROM, (the 10f322 doesn't). I don't know if there's a clip for it but yea you could do it on either a programming board like your 13A one or could do it ISP with a pin style connector.

What sort of solder less connectors do they make for tiny stuff? I know they have those little single-pin-leg clips,  is that the only QD option?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:41:01 PM by Cereal_Killer »
Email me : Dan@killerlumens.com
my sales site : www.killerlumens.com (under construction)
blog : www.killerlumens.net (reviews and stuff)

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »
Disappointing news-

2.8A is the max switching current, the input, max output is going to be under 2A and that's really taxing it, most likely we'll see about 1A out, the good thing is we can for sure parallel drivers to get more current out, I'm hoping we can parallel the 3410's on a single driver too.

so far the plan is-
ATtiny10
LM3410
bank of 2-4 0805 Sense resistors (yea I could use one larger one but 1206's arnt cheap and I dont have hundreds of them in every value like I do 0805's)
P-FET for polarity protection (should have lower dropout than a diode)
Necessary CAP's and resistors
inducer
some sort of schottky or zener diode (for over-current protection, without this powering the driver with no load connected will = bad things)

Brian (anyone else) I know how to do copper pours / vis's to dissipate heat from components neutral pad's, what can I do to try and dissipate heat out of the sense resistors with very limited space?

End goal is a single side 15mm driver (resistors can go on bottom with batt+ spring pad but nothing taller than spring. As usual would really prefer programming hookup's on bottom (be it the MCU its self or some sort of pad's / via/s).

Offline WarHawk-AVG

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 07:04:18 AM »
copper pours, just draw a polygon, anything inside of it automatically fills in

I wish they had polygon pour for a circle, would be nice to have a solid copper base for the heat to evenly spread and dissipate

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 12:58:19 PM »
Yesterday I mentioned this to Matt and he said he was a huge fan of the LM3410, he sent me a few .sch's he's used before. He so said the plan to use a FET was overkill, we could do everything we want with only then 3410. Didn't have time yesterday but will be checking out his files today and seeing what I can come up with. I also donated $5 to that LPF driver and included my email and some questions hoping to hear back but didn't.

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 04:29:14 AM »

I dont know what happened, jupiter was in the right position or something but last night I decided to spend a little time on this doing math to pick out parts and shit and all the sudden today out of nowhere Warhawk PM's me, he's found some dude named schizobovine on oshpark / github and he's pretty much doing the exact same thing right now so I checked out his stuff, modified it to work with my already picked out parts and MCU and I have a .sch for a SEPIC converter and am getting everything laid out on a 17mm board tonight. I think it should even be able to go smaller for AA diameter lights but I might need to switch to a bank of 0805's or 1206' (actually I might do that anyway, its probably cheaper than those huge high power resistor's, they're like $1.25 each!)

So I ended up placing pad's for the Bovine dude's 4.7uH inductor's (which are probably good enough and they're tiny) but I had calculated that 6.6uH would make for smaller LED ripple (but this isnt gonna be high current anyway so "good enough" is probably more than good enough) tho better efficiency is always a good thing. Also being SEPIC this will allow for 2*NiMH threw 1*Li-ion input with about the same efficiency and even allow 1.8v (1*L91) use tho efficiency (and possible output, depending on what you had it set for) will suffer some. I dont know about 1.2v (1*NiMH), just have to wait and see. Ideally you would feed it 3-4.2v.

Note this is a CC regulated circuit but still dims via PWM. Think of SEPIC as buck-boost but with a much smaller input range (and better efficiency over that range). This can drive 3v emitters - 9v (including 1x MT) but its better to run 2* or 3* 3v emitters in parallel than it is series for triple builds [6/9v out will probably require zener diode change].

Think of the options for a 3Vin driver and CR123 builds for the muggles that can still take 16340 without issue and can even be used with 2* and 3* AA lights (like say mini-mag's). Plus you can do single-AA /AAA sized builds for 14500 /10440 and have the avalibility to run off the shelf L91/L92's for emergencies / spare's you leave in your car (and possible even NiMH).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:33:24 AM by Cereal_Killer »

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 05:09:47 AM »
Sounds orsm. The reason it sounds orsm is that I dont speak or understand Chinese. This would be the holy grail of drivers if it went down to .9 volts. :)
Good stuff and keep it up.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline WarHawk-AVG

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
Been a while since I have been here or futzing with flashlights

Sorry for not coming by sooner

Started a regiment of testosterone shots and it IS giving me alot more energy and drive...just gotta get over the "get off my fat lazy ass" modes :(

Any headway on this C_K?

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »
Update finally. Boards are ordered. Plan is for a driver configurable (via sense resistor) up to 2.8A (possible see 3 if efficiency and life time expectations are lowered) from 2AA ALL THE WAY UP THREW 2s Li-ion! (Yes you read that correct- Input voltage from 2.4-8.4v) while doing the full outout and it should also do ~1.5A at 1.2v in (with single 3v LED)

It's also got the possibility of being able to drive 3s 3v emitters or even an MT-G2 (or any emitter / series string up to 12v). Tho that 3A out is a hard limit.

It's a SEPIC and I have selected components putting efficiency at the front of the wish list. When operated within spec it should provide >90% efficiency and should be able to do no <70% @ 1.2vin (with reduced output current)

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 08:57:08 PM »

Offline WarHawk-AVG

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »
Daggum!!!!

I knew if anyone could whip one up it would be you!

Rock on man!!!