Author Topic: driver for 2AA mini maglite led conversion  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Gazeddy

driver for 2AA mini maglite led conversion
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:52:27 PM »
after melting my minimaglite in an experiment i want to drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st century. li-ion is a power option but im after chucking out some serious light for its size. what driver/led combo would be best for this?

Offline WarHawk-AVG

Re: driver for 2AA mini maglite led conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 06:40:53 AM »
hmm...I remember someone taking a 16mm noctigon, grinding it down, mounting it over the top and making it direct drive with a single Li Ion

Not totally sure on a conversion...if it was a regular maglite with the flanged bulb I would recommend these (these also work GREAT for those toolpack flashlights as well ([make sure you get the right voltage though])
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/b-series/

This might bring it up to this century...but will be WOEFULLY underpowered
http://www.niteize.com/product/LED-Upgrade-Kit-II.asp

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:42:59 AM by WarHawk-AVG »

Offline Gazeddy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
thats the later generation to the one i melted (3x 5mm leds on a pcb). will lookin into noctigon

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
I hate sending a member to another forum but if it's minimag conversion you are seeking then this is the best tutorial going.  My buddy Match figured out a super easy way to upgrade an AA minimag into a beast.  I done it many times myself making improvements along the way and have created many shortened 1*AA "Micro" Maglites that slam out well over 900 OTF lumens.

This one I made to auction off to generate funds for the widow of a good member and friend.  It did about 950 OTF.  It was a real gem!   Gallery link

Offline Gazeddy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »
ive not got the kit to rethread the tube. so i will be "stuck" with either 2s 14500 or 2s AA. i also seem to have mislaid my stock cap so i have a niteize tailcap switch. but p60 dropin with a bit of modding looks good.

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »
FYI I use a 3/4" sort bit for the head, have to file the OD threads off the P60 pill but that gives you a better contact area anyway.
Email me : Dan@killerlumens.com
my sales site : www.killerlumens.com (under construction)
blog : www.killerlumens.net (reviews and stuff)