Author Topic: What flashlight should I get? Let us help!  (Read 21853 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
What flashlight should I get? Let us help!
« on: November 07, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
Hey gang!  It was suggested that having a thread for people to ask for suggestions on the right flashlight would be a good idea and I agree.

So, are you looking for a new flashlight and don't know what to get?  Have an idea on your needs but not sure which model would be best?  Feel free to ask in this thread and we'll do our best to lend a hand.  Between our members and our moderators you won't find better advice anywhere.

First let us know what your needs are:
  • What type of beam do you need?  A floody beam for a wide viewing area or a tightly focused beam for long ranges?
  • What type of batteries to you wish to use in your new light?  Alkaline? Rechargeable NiMH? Lithion Ion rechargeable?
  • Indoor or outdoor use?
  • What kind of run time do you need?  A few minutes a day or an hour or more straight use at a time?
  • Will it be carried in a pant pocket? A jacket? In a belt holster or clip? Or just stored in your glove/tool box?
  • What are your budget restraints?
Having this information will give us a great place to start in find that flashlight that is just right for you.  If you are just visiting go ahead and register so you can ask any questions you have.  There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers and you will find us to be the least bit intimidating to talk to. :)

Cheers!
Johnny

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
Re: What flashlight should I get? Let us help!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »
Hi I'm new, I want a flashlight that does a minimum 3000 lumens from 2,3 or 4 standard off the shelf alkaline AA's and can run for 3 hours on max (I figure 1 hour per battery right?)
Also the light should be safe to give my 6 year old so that means it can't overheat on high, ever. Also I want it to light up an entire football field, that's 2km away.

My budget is $25, I saw some lights on Chineese sites that clam this, what ones the best?
Email me : Dan@killerlumens.com
my sales site : www.killerlumens.com (under construction)
blog : www.killerlumens.net (reviews and stuff)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »
Hi I'm new, I want a flashlight that does a minimum 3000 lumens from 2,3 or 4 standard off the shelf alkaline AA's and can run for 3 hours on max (I figure 1 hour per battery right?)
Also the light should be safe to give my 6 year old so that means it can't overheat on high, ever. Also I want it to light up an entire football field, that's 2km away.

My budget is $25, I saw some lights on Chineese sites that clam this, what ones the best?
ROFL!  Always a wise-ass in the bunch! :P  Sorry, bud, that light doesn't exist. 

Next?!

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
Lol, sad thing is, I get that request numerous times on one of the non- flashlight forums I'm an advertiser on (literally word for word except the flood/throw line).
Email me : Dan@killerlumens.com
my sales site : www.killerlumens.com (under construction)
blog : www.killerlumens.net (reviews and stuff)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
Lol, sad thing is, I get that request numerous times on one of the non- flashlight forums I'm an advertiser on (literally word for word except the flood/throw line).
OMG!  ROFL!!

Offline jmpaul320

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 04:35:52 PM »
I want a single 18650 MTG2 light for $20.  :-X

Offline Calmaja

• Lounge Lizards
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 07:08:35 PM »
How about this one: I want a pocket light that throws 1,000 meters, floods like a plunger lights and never gets hot!
If can get it it will help 18sixfifty a lot :D

Btw, other thing may be about tint color, pwm and modes (e.g. some user need strobe).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:20:57 PM by Calmaja »

Offline Gj

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 10:19:30 PM »
I want a flashlight with an optical sensor, programmed to detect a strobe and light up in an inverse pattern to cancel it out. Similar to noise-cancelling headphones, this would be a strobe-cancelling flashlight.  8)

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »
How much do you want to pay. TFF discounts apply, 200% on list price.  :D
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline Michael

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:25 AM »
Looks like this thread is just a bunch of wise guys making jokes so far ;)

So here's a serious question to get the festivities started.

I'm looking for more lights for my collection, since I'm pretty new to this and want some variety just cuz reasons that's why.

Single 18650 or any combination of AA/AAA powered. Basically because I'd rather not have to go buy more batteries beyond the rechargeables I already have.

I like zoomies, preferably something with a lot of throw and a tiny pinpoint on one end of the zoom and a wide even light on the other, not a fan of hot spots.

Something easy to work with would be great since I want to try modding. Waterproof is a plus, but not necessary.

I'd like to keep it under $40-ish, I'm not a big spender.

Modes on it don't really matter to me, I'd be just as happy with a simple on/off as I would a 10-mode strobe/SOS/Low/Ultra-Low/Medium/Ultra-Medium/High/Ultra-High/Mega-High/Giga-High craziness.

Really the main points are the price range and the power supply, anything else (modes, zoom, etc) are just icing on the cake. So what are some of you guys' favorite lights in that price range with that kind of power supply? Ideally, I'd like to have a nice collection of a light or two with crazy throw, a couple more with good flood, and a few knockaround lights to mess with and mod.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »
The Uniquefire UF-1407 is a well regarded zoomer and is single 18650 powered for just $22.66.  For FTT lights, the bigger the lens the farther it will throw.  This is about the largest in your price range unless you have a couple of 26650 cells to use in which case the UF-1405 for $34.89 might be even better.  I think it can use either 1 or 2 cells.

UF-1407

UF-1405

If you can bump your budget just another $5 to $45 then the one you want is this:  The Jax Z1
Build quality and performance are stupendous and if you don't have a 26650 cell you can still run it on 18650 with the sleeve adapter.  I wouldn't think twice about this one.  I'd spring the little extra and go for the Jax. ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:11:20 PM by JohnnyMac »

Offline Michael

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 03:49:32 AM »
I don't have any 26650s, but I'm not completely against buying a couple. I'm pretty sure my charger can hold them, I'll have to check on that. I definitely really like those other two recommendations, I'm thinking I'll have to start a "flashlight fund" change jar to save up a bit, this might get to be an expensive hobby as I've already got two lights in the post and a few great recommendations so far ;)

I use cash a lot and never carry change, so I'm sure the change jar would fill up fast ;)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »
Once you get a couple 26650 cells, Michael, you will find you need to get a 26650 mod for vaping.  Once you do that you won't want to use any other of your 18650 mods and will need to buy more 26650 mods as well as flashlights.  :o ;D

Offline Michael

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »
I never got into 26650 mods, cuz I've heard they're not any more powerful, just longer battery life, and I'm the kind of guy who wants power, battery life be damned. Plus I've got a dual 18650 Sigelei 100w box mod, so I doubt and 26650 mech could top that.
That said, I'm not against trying it ;) always with the shinyitis...

Offline flashlight21

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »
I am looking for a gift for my Dad. He has tons of flashlights but nothing expensive, just the store bought. I did research and like the fenix brand. I was torn between rc15 because of all the accessories, or the TK32. He likes the brightest flashlights, ones that have a long beam not so much the floody ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do you think either of the ones I named is any good ? Or can you suggest another better one from Fenix ? Please nothing over 150 if possible