Author Topic: What flashlight should I get? Let us help!  (Read 20537 times)

Offline david57strat

• Lounge Lizards
Re: What flashlight should I get? Let us help!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 10:49:17 PM »
Hi I'm new, I want a flashlight that does a minimum 3000 lumens from 2,3 or 4 standard off the shelf alkaline AA's and can run for 3 hours on max (I figure 1 hour per battery right?)
Also the light should be safe to give my 6 year old so that means it can't overheat on high, ever. Also I want it to light up an entire football field, that's 2km away.

My budget is $25, I saw some lights on Chineese sites that clam this, what ones the best?

If such a light existed, I'd be all over it; but I'd also expect it to have selectable tint ranges, at the touch of a button.  Want a U2 1A?  No problem!  How about an XP-L U5 7A3, with the press of that same switch?  Sure....you've got it!

Also, small as a penlight, fully submersible to at least 50 meters, and indestructible might be nice.

Actually, I'd settle for a light that could put out a nice clean combination of spot and spill, at 1000 lumens, out the front; fully-regulated, easily-pocket-able (running on a single 18650 battery), for at least two to three hours continuously (no step-down, thermal or otherwise); but I think the laws of physical preclude such a light from existing.  There's only so much power you can pack into a tiny tube.

On the other hand, not that long ago, they said we couldn't fly to the moon; so who knows, right?

If only.............

Offline supermarket

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new here, and need some suggestions for a FIRST conscious flashlight buy.

I say conscious, because every flashlight I've bought before this, was more or less just random. I never previously had an interest in flashlights until now, and so I just grabbed either whatever was cheapest, seemed reasonable, or was the first thing I saw.

Now, I want a really GOOD flashlight, although my budget is limited. I will try to answer the questions the best I can:

What type of beam do you need?  A floody beam for a wide viewing area or a tightly focused beam for long ranges?

- I will be using this flashlight MAINLY in the woods at the night, so whatever is best for that. Perhaps something in between?

What type of batteries to you wish to use in your new light?  Alkaline? Rechargeable NiMH? Lithion Ion rechargeable?

- As an e-cig vaper, I use 18650 batteries, like the Sony VCT4 and Sony VCT5, or the purple EFests. Something that uses those batteries. I think they are lithion ion?

Indoor or outdoor use?

- outdoor

What kind of run time do you need?  A few minutes a day or an hour or more straight use at a time?

-longer run time. Something I can use in the woods during the night without worrying about draining. NOT for use as a lamp or stationary light though....just something I can walk through the woods/search through the woods at night in

Will it be carried in a pant pocket? A jacket? In a belt holster or clip? Or just stored in your glove/tool box?

- Id be carrying it in my hand, and I'd PREFER something on the SMALLER side, so MAYBE I could fit in loose pockets.....but this is NOT a necessity.

What are your budget restraints?

- Most IMPORTANT of all. I'm looking to spend between $20-45. I know that isn't much to work with, so the CLOSEST we can get to that, the best :D

Thanks guys for all of your help!

I don't need anything CRAZY. This will just be my first conscious buy for a flashlight, something I can be proud of, but that isn't too expensive (I'll get into more expensive ones as I progress).

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »
Hi and welcome supermarket. lt may help to know what random lights you have purchased to help you with your non random purchase.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline supermarket

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
Well,  none of the lights I've purchased are name brands, although I have had a few Maglites back in the day (not looking for anything like them).   There is only *one* flashlight that I use on a regular basis. It is small, about 4", LED, and I use it indoors for building e-cigs coils, finding things in the carpet, etc.

I thought about it more, and here are some more specifics.

Again, I want something that runs on 18650s.
I want something that can be an every day carry (EDC)
I want something small(ish), and rugged enough to be able to survive being dropped from 3ft or so (so I can go hiking with it if need be).

The Fenix PD35 looks REALLY sweet. I wish it was less expensive.
I'm looking to spend between  $20-50.

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline fionaqin

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »
i think Nitecore flashlight is very good, but price is a little higher than other brand perhaps

Offline fionaqin

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
mark :)

Offline tonydimattes

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
Hi I'm new, I want a flashlight that does a minimum 3000 lumens from 2,3 or 4 standard off the shelf alkaline AA's and can run for 3 hours on max (I figure 1 hour per battery right?)
Also the light should be safe to give my 6 year old so that means it can't overheat on high, ever. Also I want it to light up an entire football field, that's 2km away.

My budget is $25, I saw some lights on Chineese sites that clam this, what ones the best?

Hi, Cereal_Killer

I read your post and did some survey, but yes this type of flashlight do not exist any more, but I got to know about another tactical flashlight and that is ASTRO tactical flashlight. This flashlight is of 2000 lumen ultra bright (3 light functions) with rechargeable battery.

Besides, it is avilable in 2 colors, black and rust.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 06:38:03 AM »

Hi, Cereal_Killer

I read your post and did some survey, but yes this type of flashlight do not exist any more, but I got to know about another tactical flashlight and that is ASTRO tactical flashlight. This flashlight is of 2000 lumen ultra bright (3 light functions) with rechargeable battery.

Besides, it is avilable in 2 colors, black and rust.
Hi, Tony, welcome to the forum.

C_K was kidding when he wrote those specs he wanted.  Such a light is not possible.  In regards to the light you posted, the lumens output is very accurate but it is simply an SRK (SkyRay King) clone which is a light 2 or 3 yrs old already.  The original SRK was only $50 and did 2300 lumens.  Clones, like the one you linked to can be purchased almost anywhere for between $20-$40.  The light you linked to is OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced.  In fact, every light on that site can be had for at least 1/3 of what they are gouging uneducated buyers for.  That's right, they are charging at least 300% more than what you would pay for any light there from just about any other seller.

Check any of our sponsors but I also recommend you look at Fasttech and Banggood before making any online purchases.  They sell the same lights for a fraction of the cost.  In fact, nearly any online shop sells them for a fraction of what that rip-off site sells them for.  ;)

Offline akamrkent

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 02:35:15 AM »
I'm new to TFF. Since the google machine wasn't giving me very good answers, possibly because I wasn't asking the right questions. Or what I'm looking for doesn't exist in the same package.

What I'm looking for:
-Beam= Work light to spotlight
-Batteries= rechargeable via USB or 12v cigarette lighter outlet
-Use= Outdoor with decent water resistance
-Run time= Emergency utility use at least twice a month
-Carrying= This has been the hard part. I want to store it in a cradle/mount on a panel in my truck. Kind of like the old Mag lights, but more robust.
-Budget= $200 but if it's everything I want. Maybe more.

Offline akamrkent

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 06:05:41 AM »
Not sure if anyone is keeping up with this thread. But this is what I'm thinking. Doesn't have a wall mount or cradle. But I can make one.

https://olightworld.com/store/specialty/law-enforcement-tactical/srmini-intimidator-ii-101.html

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 02:32:55 AM »
Hey, buddy, welcome to the forum! 

Sorry I missed your first post asking for advice.  I would have a hard time recommending any light that meets all of your wants because there just aren't many that do.  Even the Mini Intimidator, while being a great light, only meets a few of your requirements like a charging port  and waterproofing and I'd have never considered recommending it to you for that fact.  I own the 1st generation Mini Intimidator and it failed within a few days.  I have other Olight flashlights that have run for years without issue though so I would like to think it's just a fluke and not the norm for them to fail so quickly.  It sounds like what you want is a flood to throw flashlight (FTT) to meet your worklight to spotlight wish.
If you can be happy with just a fat, broad beam with lots of flood then the Intimidator might work for you.  It will never be a spot light though.  You can always make your own cradle mount and will likely have to.

What you described as wanting actually exists in the very thing you are comparing your needs to:  A Maglite.  Not sure how anyone can get more robust than a Maglite because they are pretty much brick solid.  THe only thing another light could beat them with is total output but the newer Maglites are acceptably bright for the times with 643 lumens.  Everything you are looking for exists in the latest Maglite Charger.  For something that checks all the boxes for your wish list the Maglight is the only choice.  For something that works when you need it I'd take the Maglite over that Olight in a heart beat.

Offline akamrkent

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »
Thanks JohnnyMac,
After recommending the Maglight I did strongly consider it. I stopped short of getting it because of it's size. And I've owned a half dozen Mags in my life. wanted to try something new. I ended up getting Olight S30R Javelot. With it's small usb charging station and a magnetic base it was a good fit. The magnetic base is a big plus. I do a lot of wheeling and working on my truck so being able to stick to a metal surface while I'm gearing, wrenching, grinding or welding is a big plus.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Cheers

Offline borivoje

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
As i mentioned in my introduction earlier, I am looking to get a modern flashlight since i only have two 19th century pieces at home (my dads or grandfathers models).
In Macedonia, lately, tactical flashlights have become a popular topic. Although you can rarely find good quality flashlights under 100 usd here, you can order online if shipping is supported.
I can not afford to spend more than 50 eur (~60usd) since i am married and I am having 'toy budget' issues with my wife at the moment :)

A facebook ad got my attention a week ago promoting the Lumitact G700.
Since I see that you guys are into flashlights a lot, you already know it has 700 lumen, 5 modes (including sos and strobe), sharp tip and ultra tough aluminium waterproof body, and its very light and compact. I have read few reviews that claim to run the flashlight with just a set of batteries
This is available wordlwide, (to Macedonia also) and has free shipping. It costs 56$

However, an ex roomate of mine, currently living in Australia, a hunter by hobby, told me i should go with the Shadowhawk X800 Flashlight. Same price, same features, improved LED chip: 800 lumen.

However, I am not sure if a difference of an extra 100 lumens is worth me waiting 2-3 weeks to get it and to cost me another 15 usd shipping fees (he will have to receive it at his address and then ship to Macedonia)

Help me out guys and Thanks in advance!

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »
Watch this before you buy that junk light  :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/swSU5GbWjgM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/swSU5GbWjgM</a>