Author Topic: What flashlight should I get? Let us help!  (Read 18958 times)

Offline Gator Gold

Re: What flashlight should I get? Let us help!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
Hello everyone! I am new to the site. I have six flashlights in my arsenal (modified SF 6P defender, SF E2D Defender, SF EB2 Backup, Fenix TK 41, Olight M3XS-UT, Thrunight TN 32 UT.

Both the Olight and Thrunight have excellent throw. However, I am curious if there are other lights out there with even more throw (<$300)? I prefer the cool white color tint vs the yellowish tint and a light that is rechargable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
modified SF 6P defender, SF E2D Defender, SF EB2 Backup, Fenix TK 41, Olight M3XS-UT, Thrunight TN 32 UT

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 07:51:40 AM »
Hi, Gator!  There are a few lights that throw as well as the two you listed but not enough better to justify the purchase of a new light.  There are some new lights in the works that are expected to greatly out throw them.  Were I you I would hold onto my money until they come out later this year.

In the mean time, for just $69 you can get a Thorfire S70 that runs on two 26650 cells and uses an XHP70 LED to put out well over 4000 lumens and throw over 600m down range.  It may not throw quite as far as the TN32UT but it puts a whole lot more light downrange with a bigger beam.  Build quality is superb, BTW, and mine has quickly become one of my favorite lights out of the 150 or so that I currently own.

Offline Kreisky

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 10:04:49 PM »
Hello,

i'm very new of this hobby, I'm looking for two flashlight, one for me and one form my father... I've a cheap led flashlight 8-10$ but the switch is broken after 2 years so I would like to buy something new and better.
So, here is what I'm looking for:
-1850 battery
-zoomable
-beetwen 15 and 25$
-rechargeable by USB
-good brightness like XML2 T6, neutral light, not too cool, 4000/5000k
-indoors and outdoors for short time use

Does it exist ? :)
There is many "unknown" flashlight, could you suggest me some good brand ?

Thank you !

Mastro

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »
Hello,

i'm very new of this hobby, I'm looking for two flashlight, one for me and one form my father... I've a cheap led flashlight 8-10$ but the switch is broken after 2 years so I would like to buy something new and better.
So, here is what I'm looking for:
-1850 battery
-zoomable
-beetwen 15 and 25$
-rechargeable by USB
-good brightness like XML2 T6, neutral light, not too cool, 4000/5000k
-indoors and outdoors for short time use

Does it exist ? :)
There is many "unknown" flashlight, could you suggest me some good brand ?

Thank you !

Mastro
Hmm...I'll have to think about this request for a bit.  Meeting all your requests in your price limit might be tough, especially the NW emitter.  For some reason, just about every zoom torch I've seen is the coldest, bluest white I've ever seen.  I'll update this post for you if I come across a light that is close.  ;)

Offline petruzalek

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
Hi there!

Iím absolute newbie in the flashlight world, though really rely on your help.
Iím going to start my Asia trip in a month and will spend more than 6 months there, traveling from one country to other. So I want to get the flashlight to acсompany me during this trip and later on after Iím back.
My trip will not have any exact specialization, I will not camp, hunt or hike. What I need is general purpose tool for searching some items in the luggage, walking in the dark and, probably self-defense.

What I need is:
Compact handheld item for traveling (not micro or pen size, Iíd like it a bit bigger).
LED, rechargeable through USB (or another way, but without a need for separate charger)
To have few different usage modes, including strobe.
Excellent beam power to size ratio.
Reliable and have duty item, well-known manufacturer.
Good price to quality / specifications ratio.
Up to 100$, preferably around 50-70.

Would appreciate your quick recommendations.

Offline petruzalek

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
Would much appreciate the reply on my previous message... I do need a help!

BTW, I did some homework and understood that I probably need an item with one 18650 li-ion rechargeable battery.

What are the good options here? For example, what can I choose between Fenix TK20R / UC35 / RC11, Nitecore MH 12 / MH20GT / MH25GT / MH27, or even probably ThruNite TC12? Which one would be better for my situation?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 05:36:20 AM »
Well, if he wants the best thrower on the market the The units TN42 is just $10 over your budget with the current 20% sale at just $160.   http://www.thrunite.com/tn42-led-searchlight/

The Thrunite TN32 UT is well within his budget at around $103 after 20% off. Money left over for 3 good cells, too.  http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tn32-ut-cool-white/

I'm not a Fenix fan but the two above would be my picks. Hope this helps.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 01:15:53 AM »

BTW, I did some homework and understood that I probably need an item with one 18650 li-ion rechargeable battery.

What are the good options here? For example, what can I choose between Fenix TK20R / UC35 / RC11, Nitecore MH 12 / MH20GT / MH25GT / MH27, or even probably ThruNite TC12? Which one would be better for my situation?
I hear lots of praise for the MH20GT and the The ThruNite TC12 as well. For super compact an rechargeable check the Manker U11, another awesome light! Any choice of the 3 would be great.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:17:17 AM by JohnnyMac »

Offline colight

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 08:08:29 AM »
I haven't been active on this forum, although I check in from time to time, therefore I can't recall having seen this thread before. Unlike Johnnymac, I am a Fenix fan, and I recently purchased this specific model mentioned here - the TK20R. I read many reviews/comments on this light before I bought it, until I decided: To heck with it! I'm going to buy it, and BOY! Was I pleasantly surprised! I have to say that I saw VERY few negative remarks about it, and I think that may be what won me over, but am I ever so glad I did! This has become my favorite carry-around light.

Offline petruzalek

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »

I hear lots of praise for the MH20GT and the The ThruNite TC12 as well. For super compact an rechargeable check the Manker U11, another awesome light! Any choice of the 3 would be great.  ;)

JohnnyMac,

Thanks for your valuable input... it does correspond with the research I had these days.
I narrowed down my list to these exact two options Nitecore MH20GT and Thrunite TC12 V2 - everyone is praiseful on them.

I found Nitecore MH20GT has close features to TC12 v2, though costs more, but is a bit powerful thanks to XP-L HI led.
Do you think I might need such an upgrade, or it doesn't have any sense for an EDC light for a newbie?

As for Fenix TK20R, it might be great light too. The only thing I miss here is a sub-lumen mode (moonlight or firefly), and also the lumen distribution is not so great - 1000-350-150-10 (that jump from 1000 in Turbo mode to 350 in High is huge). For example, Thrunite TC12 V2 has more reasonable 1100-472-200-21-0.5 lumens. These were the reasons I omitted TK20R from consideration.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 07:20:28 AM »
For an EDC light you aren't going to see any real difference between the two with the naked eye unless you are comparing them side-by-side.  THe Moon low on the THrunite might be your most used mode.  LOL  I gotsta have a good Moon low on an EDC light and the ThruNites have it in spades.  Once you have the light in hand you'll love it.

Offline flashz

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »
I like the TC1200 you can read a good review about it on http://bestmilitaryflashlights.com/ they have a good review.  Just one of the best values for the price and lumens you get that I've found and it is reliable.

Offline zeddd

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »
I want to know more about ledflashlight,one of my friends recommended Cosmo,http://bit.ly/2u7FuEd,but I had never heard this brand,someone know it?