Author Topic: 3xAAA Substitute?  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Michael

3xAAA Substitute?
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »
I've got several lights that take 3xAAA cells, and I was wondering is there any cell that fits this kind of light? I tried an 18650 and it was too long, 18500 seemed a bit short, and I think any 18xxx cell is a bit too slender. The kind of light I'm talking about takes 3 AAA cells in a cylindrical holder. I've got a bunch of AAA rechargeable cells so it's not a huge deal, just curious. I was thinking maybe a C cell, but that might be too wide to fit.

Offline Kyfishguy

Re: 3xAAA Substitute?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »
Hi Michael,
  I think the standard substitute is the 18500.  A bit of minor modding can usually fix the length issue (spring stretching and/or addition) and a creative use of rolled up paper can make a serviceable battery sleeve. 
Best,
Brian

Offline Michael

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »
Thanks Brian! I'll try that out, sounds simple enough. Might need to get a few more 18500s, I only have one at the moment lol

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
If the diameter is to small orings or cardboard rolled up can be used to take up the gap.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline darter22

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
My solution was to get a scrap of cable from a friend who works at the local cable company. He calls it .875 hard line and it measures 7/8 ". Fits perfectly in the barrel of 3/AAA flashlights and is easy to cut to length with hand or power tools. I then use split wire loom around a 14500 3.7v battery. Works great.

Offline driveone2

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:27:22 AM »
I got ripped off and bought one of the G700 from Lumotact..... what single cell battery will fit this junk? 3 AAA batteries just wont cut it....will the 18650 fit this light?

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
Welcome aboard. Yep the 18650 would be the one.

Although it's not anything special the way it is, it can be modded into a very nice light. Stick a new driver/circuit board in there and a XP-G2 emitter on a noctigon and you at least will have a super bright light that will throw a long ways and have a bright flood too. It's an easy mod to do if you can solder at all.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:26:38 PM »
18sixfifty is correct, an 18650 cell will work perfectly as the light is designed to use one. The G700 is the same flashlight as this one and you can see the full specs here:  http://www.dx.com/p/lightscastle-e17-xm-l-t6-2000lm-hight-power-torch-zoomable-led-flashlight-5-mode-white-black-408481#.VrURz7aDmK0

I'm all for capitalism and making an honest living but the keyword is "honest". I see ads for that G700,"the worlds brightest flashlight"...what a joke!  Not even close to being military grade either. It's a $10 light and barely worth that much. I see the ads for them all the time on FB and such and it just pisses me off how they take advantage of people who want to get a good flashlight but don't know any better. It is criminal IMO.

From now on please promise me you will let us know he next time you want a new light and we'll help you get the right light for you at a great price. ;)

Cheers!

Offline MarvKern

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:11:32 PM »
Hi.....i am new user here. As per my knowledge the standard substitute is the 18500.  A bit of minor modding can usually fix the length issue and a creative use of rolled up paper can make a serviceable battery sleeve.  Stick a new driver/circuit board in there and a XP-G2 emitter on a noctigon and you at least will have a super bright light that will throw a long ways and have a bright flood too. It's an easy mod to do if you can solder at all.

full turnkey assembly
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:27:13 PM by MarvKern »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 11:04:51 PM »
From my experience, most 3*AAA lights use a plastic cartridge to hold the cells which makes the space taken closer to an 18650 cell.  While an 18500 is just 6mm longer than a AAA cell, you have to allow extra space for the battery carrier.  Many 3*AAA lights can take an 18650 as substitute but not all.  Given the pitiful amount of juice held in a AAA cell, even a triple AAA light doesn't have much runtime compared to even a single AA light.  My advice is to avoid 3*AAA lights and stick with 3 or 4 AA lights like the TN04 or D40A.  Performance and runtime will meet or exceed an 18650 light without the extra care needed by a Li-Ion cell