Author Topic: $3.63 cent host turned into nichia triple  (Read 2876 times)

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
$3.63 cent host turned into nichia triple
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:18:33 PM »
This is the host I started with. ($3.63) I was hoping to use the reflector that was in it and was about the right size. However the light was just too short to use it. (I'll find a use for it later)

/www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S001119

I used this triple and the optic too. $6.89

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022933

For a driver I used the nanjg 3amp one from fast tech. I had a contact board from an old driver that I filed down to fit. I drilled a hole through the center of it and soldered the spring through the hole and left a dome on the battery side.

I mounted the emitters on a five eights thick brass disc that I filed down and jammed in place. It fit perfect. The lens is also one of those that just jams in place. I just barely had room for it to go over the optic.

The body was too short for a 18650 and a little too wide. I removed the switch and put an old foreign coin in place of it. Again just jammed it in. Hammered it in actually with a blunted chisel. I soldered a small piece of copper on it. It was cut from one of those strips that sinkpads come in if you buy a bunch of them. It makes a good piece to make contact with the negative end of the battery. I put a copper sleeve in the light to work as a battery adapter, it worked perfect.     

Anyway, It's a $15 triple nichia 219 high CRI about 95mm twisty, three modes. Very fun little light, the brass disc does a good job of transferring heat to the body, the copper sleeve fits the 18650's well. The twisty switch works good and it fits unprotected Sanyo's that I have tons of perfectly.

This light will probably get used fairly often just for it's size and decent output with a nearly perfect tint.   

Offline MRsDNF

Re: $3.63 cent host turned into nichia triple
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
What a nice cheap mod.  I assume you were trying to use the reflector for the triple nichia? I'm still not sure what I will do with mine.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 12:50:22 AM »
Yep that was what I was hoping to do but I'm kinda glad I didn't. I bet I can fit that reflector in a 502B and I have a bunch of them laying around.

Offline WarHawk-AVG

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:34:12 AM »
Would an 18500 fit?  Maybe with a small spacer if just a touch too short?

loving this though
Three LED wired in parallel (Vf 3-3.3V@4.5A), SW45, neutral white (4500K), High CRI 92
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:35:07 AM by WarHawk-AVG »