Author Topic: Ceiling Bounce Shots  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Michael

Ceiling Bounce Shots
« on: January 23, 2015, 05:52:41 AM »
Here's just some ceiling bounce shots from my collection. Here are the contenders:

From the left: modded Small Sun ZY-T08, SecurityIng T20, custom-built triple Nichia (thanks Brad!), custom-built P60 style FandyFire, and Ozark Trails OT-200L.

These shots were all taken with the camera set on 400 ISO, 1/100th sec, f3.4 with my Olympus E-3 from about 15 ft away.

This is my modded Small Sun ZY-T08. I stripped the driver and put in a new one, while swapping the old emitter for a de-domed XM-L2. This thing is awesome, thanks 18sixfifty for telling me how to make this thing a monster!

Stock SecurityIng T20. This was the first 18650 flashlight I ever bought. So I'm sentimental, sue me.

This is the first light I ever built... and so far the only one (I built it this afternoon!). Of course since it's the first I made it simple, just a plain driver soldered onto an XM-L2 T6, pop it into the light and presto!

Triple Nichia built by 18sixfifty aka Brad. This thing is a work of art, really warm color with high clarity and one of the emitters was de-domed to give it extra throw.

The undisputed loser of this contest, the Ozark Trails OT-200L. As the name suggests, they claim this light puts out 200 lumens. If that's true, then my other lights must be really high because they're way brighter than this one!

Offline MRsDNF

Re: Ceiling Bounce Shots
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »
You have a very varied tint collection in your lights. Thanks for sharing. Whats your favorite tint outdoors?
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline Michael

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
Until recently, everything I had was cooler colors, but I'm really starting to like the warmer lights. The triple nichia is probably my favorite light overall, especially for medium-low range, but I like the FandyFire that I built myself for walking to the car, etc. It's 3B on the Cree color index if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »
I wasn't aware securitying had a T20, is it the tried and true UF-T20 design or  something different? What's the lens diameter?

That beamshot makes it appear to have a somewhat defined hotspot and surronding corona within the zoomed out projection, something I've never seen before on anything other than a LEDLenses / poplite clone.
Email me : Dan@killerlumens.com
my sales site : www.killerlumens.com (under construction)
blog : www.killerlumens.net (reviews and stuff)

Offline Michael

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 09:22:18 PM »
The T20 has a very even floody beam, the shot just looks like it has a hotspot for some reason. I guess that's probably because the ceiling angles there. It's a zoomie with a huge convex lens, here's a link to where I bought it: SecurityIng T20

EDIT: I just took a look at it (aka shined it at a wall for like two seconds) and it does have a bit of a corona around it, but it's very faint. It's mostly a very cool white/blueish light, but at the outside of the beam it turns into a very strong orange color.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:24:06 PM by Michael »

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »
Cool. For reference that is the"uniquefire" UF-T20 design, before the JAX Z1 and the new UF-1405/1406's came out in the last 6 months the UF-T20 was the budget zoomie to mod but even then there wasn't ever many clones of it made.

How's the build quality on the Securitying? Is the pill solid brass? Are the threads and zooming action smooth? Does the tail disassemble? Clarity of the lens and is it glass?

Thanks for the link, ive seen that seller a lot before but I don't remember, is it US based shipping? If so (and the quality is decent) that would actually be a pretty good price for a US sourced T20 clone.

Offline Michael

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:42:25 PM »
Cool. For reference that is the"uniquefire" UF-T20 design, before the JAX Z1 and the new UF-1405/1406's came out in the last 6 months the UF-T20 was the budget zoomie to mod but even then there wasn't ever many clones of it made.

How's the build quality on the Securitying? Is the pill solid brass? Are the threads and zooming action smooth? Does the tail disassemble? Clarity of the lens and is it glass?

Thanks for the link, ive seen that seller a lot before but I don't remember, is it US based shipping? If so (and the quality is decent) that would actually be a pretty good price for a US sourced T20 clone.

I have Amazon Prime, so I get free two-day shipping on anything that I order and that light was included in that. So I assume it just shipped from an Amazon warehouse somewhere. The threads and zooming seem very smooth to me, though I'm not necessarily the best judge since the lights listed here are the only nice ones I have and I haven't been modding for long at all. The finish is a bit thin, it scratched off in one spot when I had to use pliers to get the cap off after dropping it (I think it jammed the threads together somewhat). I just took the tailcap apart since I'd never tried before, and I was able to take it apart and put it back together in about 30 seconds. If a total noob like me can, then I'm sure anyone can lol. The pill is solid brass, and overall it feels like very good quality.

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 12:38:44 AM »
Well then it sounds like a pretty good light for $20 then with 2 day shipping, I added it to my watch list. I have a Z1 and a 1405 and a SK98 but I've never had a T20 before, one day I'll finally jump on the wagon.