Author Topic: J-19 tripple de-domed MT-G2 with BLF zenor mod ramping driver.  (Read 3065 times)

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
Well that pretty much says it all. LOL I'll try and post some beam shots sometime soon. I have to say though that it's a very cool light. I took a J19 that I picked up cheap and dropped in three MT-G2's that I also picked up on sale, on noctigons of course. I de-domed them using a heat gun and a razor sharp knife. I put the emitter in small table vice and then zapped them with the heat gun. The knife would go through them like butter. I just sliced a little bit at a time off until I was down to the very bottom. When you get close to the bottom you need to really take your time otherwise you can take the little yellow layer off that is on the bottom. You don't want to do that because it's responsible for the nice tint you get with the MT-G2's. Although taking a little off isn't really a bad thing either. It just shifts the tint to a little cooler one and with three of them it mixes nicely.

The emitters were wired in parallel so I'm running the light as a shorty with two 32650's. I actually like the light better in shorty mode anyway. It seems to look a little nicer.

For a driver a made a BLF one with a zenor mod and put a ramping firmware on that stops on high or low, it's a medium speed ramping too, which is nice. Memory also.

It's hitting right at 7,500 lumens and a rather amazing 200kcd. The kcd could be exaggerated though because I tested it indoors and it could be getting some extra light from it bouncing off the ceiling or walls. Still it's unreal. It doesn't just light up trees at a quarter mile, it lights up a forest at a quarter mile and everything in between. The J-19 has enough mass to handle the heat very well too.

I have to say it's one of the nicest lights that I have put together in a while, so I thought I would share it. For pure power and the ability to throw a ton of light a long distance this is probably el numero uno.

Offline MRsDNF

• Global Moderator
Re: J-19 tripple de-domed MT-G2 with BLF zenor mod ramping driver.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »
It sounds like a real nice light. It makes it easier on the hip pocket now the price of these leds have dropped to half. Well for some anyway.  :(
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:14:20 PM »
Right on, over $20 a pop for MT-G2's makes it rough putting together these multi-emitter ones. But $10 each is pretty affordable. Plus just for stuff like de-doming. It's not much fun wrecking a $20 emitter. I did kill one the other day though. Put too much current through it and Poof it was gone.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 03:13:48 PM »
Awesome light mod, bud!  My J19 isn't functioning right now and I'd love to install three XHP-70 emitters in it along with a better driver.  Before the XHP-70 came out I wanted to use MT-G2.  With the smaller reflector cups maybe the MT-G2 would have a cleaner beam spot.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:53:32 PM »
Awesome light mod, bud!  My J19 isn't functioning right now and I'd love to install three XHP-70 emitters in it along with a better driver.  Before the XHP-70 came out I wanted to use MT-G2.  With the smaller reflector cups maybe the MT-G2 would have a cleaner beam spot.

Yeah Johnny I almost did the same thing. But one of the guys I make lights for showed me pics of his light with 3x XHP-70's and it was really strange. It didn't have a goofy beam but it had a medium flood. So it really didn't seem all that bright. Tons of lumens but without much of a hot spot so it came out much more like a typical multi-emitter light. Like a 9x or 12x something like that. This one throws and has a great hotspot. Both would be ton of fun to build and play around with though. I have the sinkpads for the XHP-70's, three of them, so I'll probably build one someday. Maybe in my lustfire triple. I don't know though, from my buddies reaction to his, I might not bother. He really didn't seem very impressed and the light costs a bundle to build. I'm digging these de-domed MT-G2's. This is the first MT-G2 triple that I'm really happy with. I did one exactly the same except with the domes on and it was very cool too. But de-domed just steps it up a notch. Doubling the throw is really nice. Before it was throwing with power much like a 12x maxed out. Now it's actually throwing a hot spot out there.

Anyway I totally dig this light and put it right up at the top of the best lights I have ever built. Might just be my favorite ever.  It would be even better if they would make a 32650 that had the mAh to fit it's size. But I guess you could always carry a spare if you were taking it out for an all night excursion. I took it out last night and left it on high for a good long time and it got F-ing hot as hell and did a good job of draining the batteries down too.