Author Topic: Question about modifying an Olight SR Mini  (Read 1734 times)

Offline keithd

Question about modifying an Olight SR Mini
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »
So apparently the older stock are on sale at GB and BG. This got me to thinking.

How hard is it to change out the driver on the SR mini for something like the BLF17DD, piggybacking off stock or total replacement? Stock the light kinda stinks and the UI is horrible, but on sale and with an updated driver it could be a pretty excellent light IMO.

So what do ya'll think?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: Question about modifying an Olight SR Mini
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »
Keith, you have the same idea for yours as I have for mine.  I have an SR Mini and I loved it for the 30 minutes it worked before something rattling around in the pill apparently shorted out the driver.  I've not been able to remove the head on mine in order to get measurements.  I broke two strap wrenches trying while only managing to loosen it a bit.

I will complete the task one of these days using some heat and welding gloves.  My plans are for a BLF FET driver but I'm not sure which size to use.  I will probably remove all the components from the factory driver and piggyback a 17mm driver depending on space.  Not sure if I will make any changes to the MCPCB or not.  It depends if I can get a 32mm Noctigon triple XP-L to work with the factory optics in the SR Mini.  I highly doubt it has the proper heatsinking and/or mass to handle direct drive for more than a minute at a time but heck, that is what lower modes are for.

Now the real beast light I want to do this mod in that is only a hair bigger than the SR Mini is the Lumintop SP03.  Another squat triple but with big clear optics and 4 cells but with great mass and heat sinking.  Hell, I think they both need some updates :P

If you manage to do anything with the SR Mini take detailed pics of the process from the start for us.  I will do the same. ;)