Author Topic: Simple Terms  (Read 1810 times)

Offline jbisinger

Simple Terms
« on: February 14, 2016, 03:18:26 AM »
 Can someone explain, in simple terms, what is meant by "a zener modded FET with UI"?  I know that an FET is a driver necessary to manage the current going to led(s), but that's the extent of my understanding.  Thanks for your help,
                                                                                                                        Jack

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: Simple Terms
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 07:29:04 AM »
You have the understanding of a basic "FET" driver.  A "Zener" FET driver has a special zener diode installed into the driver circuit that allows the driver to run on two 4.2v cells in series to drive a 6v emitter like the Cree MT-G2, XHP50, and XHP70 LEDs.

If you try running two Li-Ion cells in series through a regular FET driver it will kill the driver.  The zener diode allows the driver to provide the needed voltage to run the new big LEDs.  Keep in mind that anything more than 8.4v will kill the Zener driver.

Offline jbisinger

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:00:21 PM »
  A big Thank You to Johnny Mac for the answer.  Much appreciated.  Also, I imagine the UI means "User Interface".  A mode switch??????
Thanks again,
                       Jack

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:02:54 AM »
You're welcome, Jack.  Sorry, I forgot about the UI part of the question.  Yes, it means User Interface and refers to the programming in the driver that controls the number of modes, output levels, and how they are accessed.