Author Topic: A nice diving light to mod with XHP-50's  (Read 2037 times)

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
A nice diving light to mod with XHP-50's
« on: February 19, 2016, 01:05:19 AM »
http://www.lightinthebox.com/3cree-xm-l-t6-trustfire-diving-torch-200m-underwater-4000-lumens-led-flashlight-with-26650-and-charger_p1713247.html

Here is a link to the light, just so you can see the pictures. I'm not a fan of light in the box, same company as Lightmalls and they have jerked me around enough that I don't order from them anymore. I picked mine up on e-bay from a seller that I have always trusted but I don't see anymore listed by him.

Although the price seems high on this light, I can tell you that it's a complete beast of a light and perfect host for XHP-50's. Loaded with 26650's it weighs in at 2 pounds and everything on this light is super heavy duty. It has the nicest O-rings I have seen on any light and it comes with spares too. I haven't been diving in a very long time but I would have to believe from the way the light is actually set up with that it would in fact be good for a very long way down. It's got quad O-rings and two different sized large threaded areas. This is one of the few budget diving lights that I have seen that you could actually dive with.

The driver is inside of a brass ring that screws into the pill which is another large chunk of heavy aluminum. It's about 24mm in diameter, so using a 22mm BLF FET driver is just a little bit small but easy enough to mount by soldering it around the edges. There is no way that it's going to come loose or go wonky on you. There is no tailcap, to change modes, you screw and unscrew it's huge tailcap. It's set up so that it changes modes easily that way. Kind of a plus in that you don't have to worry about killing the switch with extra high amps.

The reflector is basically the same as the SRK 3x, a tad deeper than some of the newer ones and it does have room for heavy wires (It's not a flat bottom reflector). Standard sized noctigons fit in perfectly and the beam is great. With the 3x XHP-50's I am hitting 7,000 lumens and it's not overheating at all.

So why would a non-diver buy this light? Well I bought it because the price was right and I wanted a host for a nice triple XHP-50 and then I planned to sell it, like I do most of my lights. Having played with it now for a while I think I might just have to keep it. It's a very rugged light (1/4 inch plexiglass lens) and never having to worry about it breaking or getting drown if I drop it in the lake is very cool. I can throw this in the bottom of my boat and let it get kicked around splashed etc etc and still know it's going to work perfectly each time I grab it. I can tie 550 cord to it and lower it into the lake too when I'm ice fishing or spearing suckers in the spring, bullhead fishing in the fall or whatever. Camping and leave it out in the rain, drop it down a cliff and it's not going to break either. You could take this light and throw it as far as you can down the road and it would still work. It's that solid and it's one of the few lights that I could NOT find a design flaw in. Even the most expensive lights always seem to have one or two things that the engineers made a mess of, not this one.

So if you have a use for a rugged light with massive output that you can count on, keep on eye out for this light when it comes on sale or auction on e-bay. Then drop in a BLF FET driver and some XHP-50's you won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:25:50 PM by Spasmod »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: A nice diving light to mod with XHP-50's
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:21:23 AM »
Very cool. bud!  That light was the topic of discussion for a while in several threads on BLF a couple years ago.  It is a freaking beast!  I can see why there are little heatsinking issues with it.  One thing that put me off from it was the smallish head but even more so, the super deep beel.  Did you share the bezel down or leave it stock?  How much does it affect the spill angle?

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
Re: A nice diving light to mod with XHP-50's
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:47:08 AM »
Very cool. bud!  That light was the topic of discussion for a while in several threads on BLF a couple years ago.  It is a freaking beast!  I can see why there are little heatsinking issues with it.  One thing that put me off from it was the smallish head but even more so, the super deep beel.  Did you share the bezel down or leave it stock?  How much does it affect the spill angle?

It was more of an issue with the original emitters, the XHP-50 really opened the flood up on it. What throw it has is just brute power but it's still surprisingly good too. As I'm kinda planning on using it as a real beater light I left the bezel the way it is. Less likely to get the lens all jacked up.

I lost the freaking charger to my camera or I would take some pics. I ordered a new one and I know the second it shows up I'll find it. LOL