Author Topic: identifying a maglite FL from its S/N  (Read 762 times)

Offline zigomar

identifying a maglite FL from its S/N
« on: August 26, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
I all,

I need some help. I just purchased (on internet) a Maglite XL50 flashlite, which came in the presentation box, but I have been surprised to see there's no seal of any kind to ensure the product is NEW (and it seems not to be, but I may be paranoid).
Above all, there are no specifications mentioned at all, thus I have no clue wether the retailer sent me a last generation XL50 (200lm; 224m beam) or an older one.
Does anyone know if it is possible to answer to this through the serial number please ?

And, apart from that, did you ever purchase a maglite in presentation box? Was there plastic or anything around it, that would help make sure it has not been used before?

Many thanks !

edit: made a mistake about the beam, it's 224 m
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:59:17 AM by zigomar »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: identifying a maglite FL from its S/N
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 01:25:19 AM »
Howdy, zigomar.  I'm not sure how recent the generation incarnations are but I did find a list on Maglite's site from 2014 with a list of their products and serial designations. I hope it helps.

https://maglite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/MAGLITE-NSN-NUMBERS_1214a.pdf

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »
Only really, really, really special Maglite or promos come with any wrapping around the presentation box. The gold plated bronze minimag for example had a tight fitting cardboard sleeve over the plastic presentation box. 

At one point the Solitaire incan arrived with a decal on the side that you either carefully removed or just ripped through it. The only lights I've seen with those were dark green or purple Solitaires.

Regarding the XL50 Maglite can help you out there. The link posted above is a great place to start.
John 3:16

Offline irongate

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 10:14:48 PM »
You can also email this person and he will look up for you the S.N. and tell you how old it is.

rgonzalez@magmail.com