Author Topic: Box Stores Need to Step Up  (Read 1141 times)

Offline DJCHRISRECTOR

Box Stores Need to Step Up
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:18:07 AM »
Why have big box stores not caught up in flashlights. It may be different in the US but here in Canada):  Wal-mart, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Sail. They all sell these old skool flashlights.  They need to hop on the 18650 train.

Offline SG-1

Re: Box Stores Need to Step Up
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:17 AM »
Same situation here in the southern US.  If you want a "semi-state of the art" flashlight it come in the mail.  A few small hardware stores sell Nebo brand.

Offline bykfixer

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »
Thanks to "As Seen on Tv" junk the mass market hasn't caught up. Folks still prefer a Rayovac or a Maglite.

And when the all night generator quits the market prefers primary batteries over the prospect of having to figure out how to charge their battery(s).

You'd be surprised at how many folks have never heard of Eneloops or have any concept of a flashlight working off their vaper battery.
John 3:16

Offline david57strat

• Lounge Lizards
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 12:20:38 AM »
A little cutlery shop at the mall carried some Fenix lights.  In fact, that's where I bought my very first Fenix (the E15), that I purchased from them, in June of 2012.  I know - not a 18650 light, but certainly much better performing than any Maglite I ever purchased previously -although I still have five Maglites lol - all of which have been LED upgraded, or were purchased in LED form, for nostalgia's sake.  They don't see much use, though. But, I just can't bring myself to tossing them, in spite of their comparatively lackluster performance.

18650-driven lights are my primary choice for flashlights, especially EDC lights, and they account for nearly 70 percent of all the lights I own.

A couple of years ago, I noticed that my local REI store was carrying some Fenix and Nitecore 18650 lights. So there is hope, although they're slow to introduce newer models. 

Flashlights are like computers.  The technology has advanced so radically during the past few years, it's impossible to keep up.

You folks who live in Smyrna, Georgia, have the pleasure of shopping, in-person, at Going Gear, which has an amazing selection of lights and other EDC gear.  I'm just saddened that Marshall passed away, this past year.  He shared a wealth of knowledge, in his reviews of many lights, in his YouTube videos. 

I don't understand people's reticence about charging flashlight batteries.  Who wants to spend a fortune on under-performing, leaky-a** alkaline batteries?

It's no big deal, charging your smart phone, tablet, or laptop, at night.  Why must it be such a big to do, with some flashlight batteries, as well?  They save a fortune, over time, provide far better performance and run times, and are better for the environment, in the long run.  Not enough people seem to care what kind of environment we're leaving for our children, or our children's children.  It's very sad.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:30:57 AM by david57strat »

Offline DJCHRISRECTOR

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:51:07 PM »
I just found out last week about Marshall, watching Scootch00 and he said "This is one of the last things I got from Marshall at Going Gear before his passing" I was freaking, What In The F&^%!!! He Died :'( :'( :'(    He was the only outdoor store owner that understood what a real outdoors-men wants.   A solid Flashlight, Knife and Pack(they sold maxpedition).