Author Topic: Why do people collect flashlights?  (Read 5268 times)

Offline whiteheat

Why do people collect flashlights?
« on: December 02, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
Just a general question really, but it'd be interesting to see what people think about why they or other people collect flashlights.  Also, what's the general opinion - is flashlight collecting in the main a mature guy thing or is this type of collecting thing equally spread age groups and genders?  So, why collect flashlights?  Answers on a postcard.......

Offline robo819

• Global Moderator
Re: Why do people collect flashlights?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 12:24:03 AM »
I can't speak for everyone , but a lot of it for me is finding that next brighter , better light. The other part of it for me personally is that I like making the reviews that I do , so that people at least have an idea what they are actually getting before they spend their money on a light. I bought a number of lights just going off the inflated listed numbers on the websites , or the bogus reviews from Amazon and what have you , before I found this and the BLF forums and got educated.

As far as the age group , I think it is from very young to very old as we have all ages here and on the BLF forums that are into the lights.

Offline SG-1

Re: Why do people collect flashlights?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »
Probably for the same reason other people collect stamps or coins or cars or anything.

I have always liked flashlights, been scared of the dark since childhood !  Just fascinated by light...?

I look for task specific flashlights, when the technology improves I can move closer to what I really wanted all along (more lumens, run time, & smaller lighter package), but it either did not exist or the cost was prohibitive. The old light still works so it ends up "in the collection" to be used for back up & such.  Collecting for me is more of a by-product.