Author Topic: troubleshooting a gifted LED flashlight  (Read 488 times)

Offline jns1981

troubleshooting a gifted LED flashlight
« on: October 21, 2020, 05:38:47 PM »
hello all!
Newbie here!

i received a TI50 flashlight (i think using Palight drivers and parts thats branded anywhich way) that has a curious symptom i cannot eliminate!

When shaken a certain way (every guy knows the motion!) it changes modes...

-symptoms exist when retainer rings are tightened (and retightened after the below steps)
-symptom exists when switch was bypassed
-symptom exists after driver was replaced
-symptom exists after battery was taped to prevent sliding in the tube
-i cannot figure out how to access/remove the pill (i think thats what its called?) but can access the pos/neg wires and i replaced the driver

ive tried a different 18650 battery and the symptoms still persist...

after doing the above troubleshooting, what could still cause the issue? its to the point where it seems like a kinetic feature! ha! shake it like this and the mode shifts!

any suggestions are welcomed!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: troubleshooting a gifted LED flashlight
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 10:27:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Seems like you covered the basics. Only thing I can think is the batteries you are using are 50mm exact and the light prefers longer cells. Mode changing can occur on bumps due to soft springs allow the cell to move enough to break contact  with the driver. Does the driver side have a spring or does it have a solid contact button?  If a button it's a common issue. With springs on each ends it shouldn't happen unless they are too short, too soft, or have lost their tension.

Offline jns1981

Re: troubleshooting a gifted LED flashlight
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 03:03:59 AM »
Holy crap!! Really?!
Driver is a just a metal non/button thing and rear clicker has a spring.

Honest question to the point of stupidity...is it possible to add a spring? Or should I try a different battery?

My battery is flat on both sides, meaning there’s no nub on the positive side. I figured the tape on the battery would mitigate the sliding battery.

Thanks!