Author Topic: Hello Everybody!!!  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Ladmo71

Hello Everybody!!!
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
 Currently I'm an Airframe & Power plant Mechanic for an EMS helicopter company. I'm thinking of starting a small assembly/ manufacturing company for flashlights. I would like to get some opinion's of Plastic vs. Metal housings. Also is there anyone out there that does this sort of limited or small run manufacturing?

Great to be part of the community!

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello Everybody!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:17 AM »
Howdy and welcome aboard.

I would say that around here you will find mostly people who prefer metal. Heatsinking is the issue that most of us deal with. Copper pills are very much appreciated.

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »
Hey Ladmo, great to have you join us.

Some of the guys here do design and make their own lights. More often than not they like to test new waters and push new boundaries, so I'm sure they'll be happy to give you some ideas and theories.

Good luck with the venture, it'll be very interesting to see what sort of ideas you can brainstorm.

Spas
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:35:22 PM by Spasmod »

Offline Chloe

• Lounge Lizards
  • ♡彡
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
Welcome to TFF, Ladmo71!  :D

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »
Hi and welcome Ladmo71. It sounds like you have a very interesting career. I wish you all the best if you venture into the flashlight business. Metal is the go with LED's as the cooler they run the more efficient they are. I'd suggest you read as much as you can on the different forums and get an idea on what works and does not work. Cheers.
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
Welcome to TFF, Ladmo71!  I'd love it if you'd keep us updated on your new venture.  IMO metal is the way to go.  I won't buy a plastic light unless there is a very limited application where it is required so it's safe to say I'd never buy one.  It's a very small niche market where a plastic light is required.  Like MRsDNF said, metal is the way to go for heat sinking purposes alone.

You might find that making your prototypes first using a plastic like Delrin would make sense from a design stand point as it would be less costly to produce mock-ups than say aluminum or stainless steel.  It'd also be easier on your machinery until you finalise the design.