Author Topic: Small Sun ZY-T08 with DRY driver MOD  (Read 4541 times)

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
Small Sun ZY-T08 with DRY driver MOD
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:15:58 AM »
Just finished my first mod of the New Year.

This is a Small Sun ZY-T08 with a DRY driver. Yep you heard that right. I modded the battery carrier to serial, wiped the stock driver clean to use as a contact board and installed a XM-L2 de-domed on one of the new 20mm Round 2mm deep stars from LCK. I did NOT do a heavy gauge wire mod or a spring mod and I am only running sony unprotected batteries and not the Samsung 20r's. For numbers I am showing 1,250 lumens and 200Kcd. Very nice tint and I love the four modes. Obviously I could bump these numbers up even further by using the Samsungs or putting heavy gauge wire on. But I'm happy with the numbers were they are. This light has a nice pill but it's still not terribly great as far at heatsinking goes. I think to keep the light practical and useful this is pushing it hard enough.

It was a bit of a goofy mod for me trying to guess what the amps would be with the smaller gauge wire. I know with heavy gauge wire the emitter would have lasted about one second.

I paid $16 for the light itself from Wallbuys on one of their deals. $5 for the driver and about $5 for the emitter. So for under $30 total it's one hell of a thrower and just a great all around light.

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
Re: Small Sun ZY-T08 with DRY driver MOD
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
Very nice ! I like the ZY-T08, do you have any pics of the mod ?

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »
Sorry. I didn't take any pics while putting it together. I'll take some beam shots and post them tonight.

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »
Nice start to the year 18sixfifty. I'm still in holiday mode.  :)
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.