Author Topic: Please help me understand the Cree XM-L T6  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Rhailes

Please help me understand the Cree XM-L T6
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
When I Google Cree XM-L T6 drop in module, I get dozens of hits for the product from suppliers such as Amazon, DX, Fastech, etc. offering this product ranging from 450 lumens at 1500 ma up to 1000 lumens at 3000 mA. When I look at the Cree Data Sheet I see information indicating the design is 1000 lumens at 3000 mA. How can the Cree XM-L T6 drop in module be offered in so many different lumens and driving currents? I'm obviously ignorant about electronics so I would appreciate some assistance wading through this confusing maze of possibilities.
My goal is to use one 18650 Li-Ion battery to throw between 500-1000 lumens continuously for 2+ hours before changing out batteries. The challenge is to choose the correct Cree LED drop in module and the correct capacity 18650 Li-Ion battery (2900-3600mAh). Please help.
Signed
Overwhelmed
Poppi

Offline _the_

• Flashaholic
  • Lounge Lizards
Re: Please help me understand the Cree XM-L T6
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
First of all, welcome to TFF!

XM-L emitters are designed to handle up to 3A current. This doesn't mean that they couldn't be driven with lower current.

Your requirement of >500lm and >2h from a single 18650 is very demanding, but here's my suggestion:
- cool white XM-L2 U2
- Qlite driver (or similar) equipped with 4x7135 chips (= ~1.5A)
- Panasonic NCR18650B protected cell (3400mAh)
=> about 2h of almost 500lm light

Now the next problem is to find this drop in ready made (I assume you don't want to build it yourself)

One possible solution would be to buy this dropin from IO and simply remove the four visible chips.

Other solution is to ask someone in your country to build you one..

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:18:47 PM »
I agree with _the_.  A 1.4A-1.5A driver and a 3400mAh cell should give you close to 2hrs of runtime at an honest 500 OTF lumens.  Unfortunately it's hard to find a pill driven at 1.4A-1.5A these days using a quality driver like the Qlite.  If you can solder you will find it most rewarding to build your own pill.  At that point you will feel that the possibilities are endless and for the most part they truly will be.

Like _the_ said, the problem is going to be in finding one premade that isn't 2.8A or 3A.  If you can't do it yourself then you'll need to find someone near you who can build it for you.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
Quick update, I did a quick check at Illumination Supply and they have exactly what you need in a high quality drop-in: http://illuminationsupply.com/edc-plus-is-c-61_30_105/

Not sure where you are located so shipping might be pricey.  They are located here in the US.