Author Topic: Easy Black Shadow Darth upgrade  (Read 15273 times)

Offline Mr_Man

Re: Easy Black Shadow Darth upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
Hi Mr Man and welcome to TFF

If you're intending to have direct drive then you would remove the resistors and replace them with some wire or solder to bridge the gap (you would do this in the same orientation as the resistors currently are - Vertical)

If you're intending to change the resistance by using further resistors you would normally add to the resistors by placing them directly on top of the current ones, or replace them with different ones if you have single resistors with the correct ohms.

Hopefully that makes sense :D

It does make sense.
Thanks for the reply, and the welcome.

No I'm not planning on replacing resistors, am intending to just replicate JM's lumen bump mod, his review of this light is what actually made me purchase it.
So basically I'd just be direct driving it, without losing the mode options, is that correct?
Also, Should I worry about using high current cells?
Running parallel as it does would prevent any burn outs yeah?

Thanks for your help mate.

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »
I'm not actually familiar with this particular light so I'll give Johnny a nudge as he knows all about it..

We're happy to help out whenever possible and it's great to meet fellow modders :D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »
Hi gents, I just received my BSD today but wanted to confirm a few details before trying this mod and risk frying it.
Firstly, do those sense resistors in circle A get removed, or just soldered over?
When adding a bit of solder or wire etc, is it laid out running vertically to the pic, or parallel to the resistors? as in basically replacing the resistors?
Or 2 dabs of solder running horizontal to the pic?, as if to create a square if the resistors are left on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Hey, Mr Man!  Welcome to TFF!  You could remove the 2 resistors in circle A and replace each with a piece of wire.  Optionally, if you ever wanted to reverse the mod, you could simply solder a piece of wire over each resistor.  Think of the resistor as a piece of the circuit where the current runs form one end of the resistor to the other.  Flowing through the resistor reduces the current by resisting it's flow.  If you solder a piece of wire over the resistor the current will bypass the resistor and flow through the wire instead since it will have a lower resistance than the resistor.

Adding a dab of solder connecting each end of the parallel resistors will not do any harm (since they are in parallel anyway) but it won't help any either since the current still has to travel over the resistors to get to the other side.  I hope this helps. ;)

Johnny

Offline Mr_Man

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
Hi gents, I just received my BSD today but wanted to confirm a few details before trying this mod and risk frying it.
Firstly, do those sense resistors in circle A get removed, or just soldered over?
When adding a bit of solder or wire etc, is it laid out running vertically to the pic, or parallel to the resistors? as in basically replacing the resistors?
Or 2 dabs of solder running horizontal to the pic?, as if to create a square if the resistors are left on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Hey, Mr Man!  Welcome to TFF!  You could remove the 2 resistors in circle A and replace each with a piece of wire.  Optionally, if you ever wanted to reverse the mod, you could simply solder a piece of wire over each resistor.  Think of the resistor as a piece of the circuit where the current runs form one end of the resistor to the other.  Flowing through the resistor reduces the current by resisting it's flow.  If you solder a piece of wire over the resistor the current will bypass the resistor and flow through the wire instead since it will have a lower resistance than the resistor.

Adding a dab of solder connecting each end of the parallel resistors will not do any harm (since they are in parallel anyway) but it won't help any either since the current still has to travel over the resistors to get to the other side.  I hope this helps. ;)

Johnny

Thanks for the welcome JM, and it certainly has helped.
You were spot on with the review too, great quality flashlight but does lack that extra grunt on high mode.
I ended up getting it for $43 so I cant complain at all.

Now, time to head off to the shed and pimp this bad boy.

Thanks for the advice and your time gents.  :)

Offline Spasmod

• Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »
You're very welcome. Good luck with the mod I hope it goes well. Let us know how it goes  8)

Offline Mr_Man

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
You're very welcome. Good luck with the mod I hope it goes well. Let us know how it goes  8)

This thing is like daylight in a can now!!!
It does get warmer much quicker, but that was the easiest mod I've ever done on anything for great results.
Cheers Gents.
Greatly appreciated.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »

This thing is like daylight in a can now!!!
It does get warmer much quicker, but that was the easiest mod I've ever done on anything for great results.
Cheers Gents.
Greatly appreciated.
I'm glad you are happy!  I honestly saw only a 24% increase in mine.  It went form 1450 OTF lumens to 1911.  Not even 400 lumens but it was noticeable.  Just not anything like direct drive like I was hoping for. :P  Did you modify anything else on it like a low-resistance mod for the tail springs?

Offline Mr_Man

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
Hi Mac, apologies for the late reply but haven't been online for a while.
To answer your question, no I didn't do anything other than the resistor mod, the only other difference might be using a high drain quality battery, but I'm betting you probably were too when testing.

Oh, and I think you meant "not even 500 lumens".