Author Topic: Mystery mod. Updated 7.9.14 (9.7.14) HD2010 MTG-2 AA powered.  (Read 5079 times)

Offline MRsDNF

This is a mod I've been thinking of doing for awhile. It should be up and running soon but in the meantime I thought I'd give you a chance to guess what light these parts will find there way onto.  :)

Edit 7.9.14 (9.7.14).

This light is pretty much finished now after lots of false hopes. My desire was that this would run an MTG-2 at around 5 amps from 8 AA batteries in series. This would give a run time of around 20 minutes on high. Unfortunately after blowing up 3 drivers I gave up on this idea and have settled for a 3amp driver which gives around 2.75 amps at the led. Run time on 2000 mAh Eneloops was a realistic 40 minutes while 2400 mAh LSD Turnigys gave 55 minutes. The batteries were charged in the same charger and tested straight away.

The parts that went into the light. I owe the guys doing the Oshpark designs a big thanks for the battery holder ends and the driver adapter as the pill was built for the 5 amp driver and the 3 amp driver was smaller in diameter so a reducer was used.

The outside of the head was threaded for the battery tube where the original fins were hence the gap between the threads.

The difference in size between the pills. The stock pill is on the right.

Because the battery tube is no longer threaded inside the head the pill can utilize the whole length of internal thread.

A close up of the difference where the battery tubes screw onto and into the heads on the stock and modded light.

The light compared to a stock light  and a two x 26650 light.

And finally the light by it lonesome.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:03:18 AM by MRsDNF »
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline Legolas Jr.

Re: Mystery mod.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
Shoot, the body looks like a chopped maglite, but the pill looks like a hd2010 pill and I have no idea what the other aluminum piece is. You've got me stumped.  :'(
"Life is too short to be little. Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly, and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor." -Benjamin Disraeli.

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:22:22 PM »
Nice guess.  :) There are no parts in this shot from a production light. Theres a battery tube, battery holder (eight series AA). pill and tailcap. Your right that it looks like a HD2010 pill. Its all for a HD2010. Not sure on the led yet as the MTG-2 only gives a run time of twenty minutes at 5 amps.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:27:56 PM by MRsDNF »
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »
Heres a shot of the finished light. Its currently wearing an XML-2 at 5 amps on high.

Offline Legolas Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »
Very nice!
"Life is too short to be little. Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly, and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor." -Benjamin Disraeli.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
Wow! Nice work, Steve! It's barely recognizable as an HD2010 with the lower neck missing. :)

Offline MRsDNF

Re: Mystery mod. Updated 7.9.14 (9.7.14) HD2010 MTG-2 AA powered.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
OP updated with the finished light.

Offline Cereal_Killer

• Commercial Traders
  • Killer Lumens
    • killerlumens.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »
Dude absolutely awesome work. I need one of your hand made beauties, I can't be a customizer/modder and not have a fully hand built light in my collection. I would love to buy one of your creations or even trade you for one of mine!
Email me : Dan@killerlumens.com
my sales site : www.killerlumens.com (under construction)
blog : www.killerlumens.net (reviews and stuff)

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »
Thanks CK. Your going to make me run away and hide.