Author Topic: TK-61 XP-G2  (Read 7667 times)

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
TK-61 XP-G2
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:58:04 AM »
Well I decided that 500kcd just wasn't enough so I put a XP-G2 (de-domed) in my already modded TK-61 wow this thing is something else. 700kcd measured at 20meters. That's about what it takes for this light to fully colimate. You can kinda see from the last picture just how far out it takes for the light to finally all come together.

To get it to focus properly I took out the bottom of the reflector and added a sinkpad under the sinkpad that the emitter is on. Then I added a plastic ring from an old trustfire X7. It was actually sold but the ring didn't go with it because it was no longer needed from how it was modded. Anything that would lift it up just a bit would work. It's just under 6amps and that is plenty for an XP-G2

Offline MRsDNF

Re: TK-61 XP-G2
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:07:33 AM »
Enough is not enough for some people. Nce effort. Were you worried about cutting a hole in the reflector?
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:43:08 PM »
Absolutely amazing, bud!  That takes a lot of balls to mod so heavily a light like that. Definitely not a beam I care for with such a tiny hot spot but impressive none the less. Wow! 8)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:59:03 PM by JohnnyMac »

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
Well I can't say I didn't have my fingers crossed when I took the bottom out. But I have done it on a number of lights and it has only failed once. Just about any light that has a SST50 or 90 needs to have the reflector taken out to focus an XML and many XML reflectors need the bottom out to properly focus an XPG. Otherwise what happens is you get a little tiny hot spot and a large corona around that. This light has a bit of a corona but no more than an XM-L2 does. It's mostly a very nice concentrated hotspot.

I think most people would prefer the XM-L2 but I have a specific use for it. There are a ton of large fields around my property. I walk through the woods to spot deer at night. I'm not a big hunter anymore, not like I used to be but I still really like to scout deer and if I do spot a really large buck I'm likely to ask permission to set up a stand on the edge of a field. I might just take a camera this year and just take pictures. Hard to say though because if the buck of a lifetime comes out it will be pretty darn hard not to shoot it. (No I don't use a light to shoot deer, just spotting)

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
We did have roo meat for lunch the other day. It sounds ideal for what your doing but must ask if your hunting wives as I call my wife deer and as far as I can tell there all trouble. Must be strange water where you come from? ;)
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »
We have hunting "widows" around here because all the men are gone to camp for deer season. Opening day is even a school holiday. Of course not all women are widows, many women do hunt.  But still, deer camp is mostly for men a few camps are men only at least during season. My wife doesn't mind at all, she uses the time to go hunting too, for nail polish and clothes and well whatever else is it that women go hunting for at the local mall.

This movie was filmed in the "UP" about 15 miles from our camp up North. Well we used to have the camp for a very long time, but my Dad got fed up with the taxes going up and it not getting used much so we sold our share in it. There was six of us that had shares in it.

This movie is hilarious and all too much like our camp. It will give you a good idea of what hunting camp is in Michigan.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/194499

Offline Legolas Jr.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »
Light saber!
"Life is too short to be little. Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly, and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor." -Benjamin Disraeli.

Offline DBCstm

• FrankenDale
  • Lounge Lizards
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:39:47 PM »
We were apparently doing the same thing at about the same time, I got my TK61 doing in the 550Kcd range with an XP-G2 S2 2B on a double copper base with the reflector base removed in a similar fashion. With the head glue broken, I dialed in the best focus by screwing the head on /off. Then my big 32mm Noctigon came in and I put a de-domed XP-L on it with a 40mm copper disc under that.

Doing around 600Kcd now but I just really don't like this light. With an HX-1175b1 it's pulling 7.21A.
Dale

Offline Xandre

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »
Like the small spot
and near no spill..

Great Mod !

Greets Xandre

Offline 18sixfifty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 10:59:08 PM »