Author Topic: Nite Core EA 41 and butler creek blizzard scope protector  (Read 3487 times)

Offline steve4940

Nite Core EA 41 and butler creek blizzard scope protector
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:36:18 PM »
I'm new here and new to LED flashlights.  I have a Nite Core EA 41 en-route to me from a group buy at $47 (just couldn't pass that up).  I heard that the Butler Creek Blizzard scope cover (size 5) is a perfect fit to give some shock protection, anti-rolling and filter options.  That said, I'm looking to swap out the Butler Creek lens with a red colored lens.  I heard Photographers gels can work but know nothing about them.  Any one here have ideas?  has anyone done this?  Other?  with the Butler Creek cover on, I'm sure the Nite Core holster will be useless. Any suggestions on ones that will fit?  Lastly, what are your thoughts on this flashlight?  Thanks for the help, and looking forward to being a member.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: Nite Core EA 41 and butler creek blizzard scope protector
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »
Hey, Steve!  Welcome to the TVF family! 8)

The EA41 should be a very good light and I hope it is better than the EA4 which had some quality issues.  I'm a big D40A fan myself and if I didn't already have one I might opt for an EA41.  I never cared for the EA4.

Anyway, photographer gels are one of the oldest methods for adding color to a light  They are basically just a large sheet (think full sheet of paper) of cellophane type stuff.  They are simple to use and come in almost any color and tint.  Just pop out your torch lens, lay it over the gel and trace the lens with an Exacto blade to get the exact size of the lens.  Put it back together with the gel layer behind your lens and you should be good to go.  With an LED heat shouldn't be enough to cause it to melt.  Using it in a halogen or hot wire torch might be an issue melting the gel but the EA41 will never make that kind of heat.

Using colored gel will be a super easy and inexpensive way to change the color of your torch.  Unfortunately it's not as easy and convenient as having colored filters that just press over the bezel.

Let us know how you get along with the EA41 when it arrives.  The 4xAA format like that is one of my favorite!

Cheers,
Johnny

Offline steve4940

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply and info Johnny.  When the torch arrives I will look forward to setting it up with the butler Creek flip up lens and try out some photo gel.  I will let evreyone here know how it pleased, or not, I am.  On a side note is there a way to get an e-mail so I know I have replies from The Flashlight Forum?

Offline MRsDNF

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »
I'm sure the notify button at the bottom of the post will do this for you. Edit. Thread.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:23:58 PM by MRsDNF »
When the big picture is to big, look for a point you can start at and build from there.

Offline steve4940

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:43:49 AM »
Notify button...got it thanks.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »
Steve, you can also change notification settings in your account settings.

At the top click on "Profile" > "Account Settings". Then highlight "Modify Profile" and click on "Notifications".  You can adjust the notification settings there. ;)

Offline steve4940

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »
Thanks JM, done.  Still waiting on the Nitecore.