Author Topic: What flashlight should I get? Let us help!  (Read 42281 times)

Offline Folomov

• Commercial Traders
Re: What flashlight should I get? Let us help!
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »
For everyday carry, I recommend Folomov EDC-C4. Check it here: www.amazon.com/dp/B0782CQGBV

EDC-C4 is the shortest Micro USB rechargeable 18650 flashlight. 1200 lumens output.

The power bank function is also innovative. You can use EDC-C4 to charge your cellphone.

Offline Snowhawk

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2018, 05:08:49 AM »
Hi all, I would appreciate your expert advice in recommending a flashlight for hunting. I would like to mount the flashlight to my rifle. Ideally it would have maximum throw (300metres or more) and a good bit of flood as well. I would prefer using 18650 cells as that's what I currently use. I would prefer simple switching modes without strobe etc..I have found that a less white colour light is better for targeting animals. It has been suggested to go for a Maxtoch M24 or Maxtoch 2x .... what do you think of these and does any one have an opinion of something similar or better. Cheers

Offline robo819

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
Hi all, I would appreciate your expert advice in recommending a flashlight for hunting. I would like to mount the flashlight to my rifle. Ideally it would have maximum throw (300metres or more) and a good bit of flood as well. I would prefer using 18650 cells as that's what I currently use. I would prefer simple switching modes without strobe etc..I have found that a less white colour light is better for targeting animals. It has been suggested to go for a Maxtoch M24 or Maxtoch 2x .... what do you think of these and does any one have an opinion of something similar or better. Cheers

The Maxtoch 2 X or M24 are hard to beat for a weapon mounted light. Both are great build quality and You sure wont find anything nearly as good for near the price I promise. (both lights under $100) 300 meters is easily achieved with the 2X even in Medium mode and the M24 isn't far behind in throw. Both will run for around 75 to 80 mins in HIGH mode without needing to step down and will hold FULL power the whole time with the regulated buck driver.
My Full Review on the 2X ..... Bare in mind my cheap video camera does not show near as true to life what you see as the still photos do.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:52:45 AM by robo819 »

Offline Snowhawk

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2018, 04:54:05 AM »
Thank you very much.

Offline Snowhawk

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2018, 05:26:39 AM »
So I purchased the M24 and am very happy with the quality and emitted light.
I like that it is a bit warmer colour than some of the other flashlights I have.
Having said that it is not very much brighter than my previous FANDYFIRE which was less than half the price.
https://www.dx.com/p/fandyfire-stl-v6-cree-xm-lt6-2-mode-1000-lumen-white-led-flashlight-2x18650-3x16340-3x123a-91137#.W_eOvSdoSV4
Still happy for any improvement though.
Thanks again Robo819 for sharing your knowledge.

Offline robo819

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 05:58:35 AM »
Always glad to help when I can. As far as the brightness I think the M24 should be around 250 to 300 lumens more than the Fanyfire as far as what is listed for that light. 

It is not that noticeable to the naked eye really in the lumens difference, Where you SHOULD see a big difference , just going by the listed specs on the Fandyfire and the M24 , is in the actual throw range.

I see the Fandyfire light you posted the link to states 500 meters. The M24 easily makes double that distance in the ANSI rated throw.

I do not have any Fandyfire lights , but  I DO have (or have had at one time) at least a dozen Maxtoch lights , with 3 of those being the M24's and 4 of them the 2X shooter. I have never been disappointed in the build quality of the Maxtoch products at all and I have always felt that the Maxtoch build quality is right up there with all the big name lights I have such as ThruNite , Olight , Acebeam , Lunimtop and such.

I guess what I am getting at there is that I don't mind paying a little extra to get a product that I know is good quality , over a product that may be cheaper and of lesser build quality.
Again I don't know just how well the Fandyfire is built as I don't have any of that brand so I am not dissing your light at all.

Offline Theflash100

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2019, 12:35:12 AM »
Had a Bushnell 800 lithium ion rechargeable. For the last month I've been going to every Walmart in my state. Amazon and other similar sites and I cannot find another light like it. Anywhere. Are they discontinued? Also got my eye on the Klarus x360. $100 but the features are amazing. Any light beat it at that price range?

Offline Susan_Dai

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2019, 07:25:16 AM »
good! :)

Offline QMT93

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
Hi guys,
I've been looking for a set of flashlight for my wife and myself. Since she prefers some specific features, the list will be in two sections: Mutual and For Her. The closer to the list you can find the better, but all suggestions are welcome.

Mutual:
_ Budget: up to $150 EACH, battery included
_ Battery:
        + Micro-USB/ USB-C rechargeable (whether charge on the batter itself, or on the flashlight)
        + Removable
        + High mode: At least 1hr @ 1,000 lms
_ UI: Single-handed use, with instant access to momentary light, and turbo/strobe mode
_ IPX 7/8

For her:
_ Button: Tailcap (I can have either tailcap or side button)
_ Size
        + Body diameter: up to 30 mm / 1.2 in (I'm fine with 50 mm / 2 in body diameter)
        + Length: up to 102 mm / 4 in ( I'm comfortable with 165 mm / 6.5 in in length)

In short, the ideal flashlight for us would have the above, in the form factor of the HDS EDC Executive, LE, or Tactical.

I have researched and compiled a list of 28 flashlights, with the following meeting most features at good prices:
Tailcap button
        + EagleTac (tailcap button + twisty head for modes ==> 2 hands): DX3L Pro Rechargeable, G3L, S25L-R, S25L-R MK II, T25L-R MK II
        + Acebeam (tailcap button + 1 side button for on-off switch and modes ==> 2 hands): L16, L30 Gen II

Side button
        + EagleTac (2 side buttons for on-off switch and modes): TX3G Pro MK II
        + ThruNite (1 side button for on-off switch and modes): TC20, TC15
        + Acebeam (1 side button for on-off switch and modes): EC50 Gen III

In this list, the ThruNite TC20 is the best value: $90.00 (1x26650@5,000mAh + Micro USB cable, High mode @ 1,800 lms for 2.5 hrs). The Acebeam EC50-III is the same, in my opinion, for $25 more. However, neither has a tailcap button AND I'm not sure if I have instant access to momentary light, and turbo/strobe mode, for which I'm still looking for better options for my wife.

Hope to hear from you!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:23:52 AM by QMT93 »

Offline macka17

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2019, 06:06:14 AM »
Hi.
My Outside walkabout lights are.

1. Imalent DN35 or 70.  4 x led. Single 26650 cell. 4in by 1 1\2ish
Self Charge.
2. Astrolux S41/S42/S43
NON self charge.
These are Different ongoing series. I prefer the S41 T'others are side sw.
And "Ō" Much prefer to remove. charge. Insert my battery's
on a known output charger.  You KNOW the true charge then.
There are a zillion of them out there. These are the ones I have got/used.
and know to be both reliable and comfortable to hold long term.

Offline DrHellCatt

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2019, 06:37:08 AM »
Iím looking for a new flashlight as Iím new to this. Iím interested in getting a light that can throw over 1,000 meters and runs on 18650, 26650, or 21700. I would like to stay below 200$. I am currently looking at the Thrunite TN42 and the Acebeam T27. Which one do you think is a better or buy, or are there other better flashlights that fit the description I am looking for?