Author Topic: UV Flashlight for checking leaks in fliud system  (Read 5186 times)

Offline GarryWhite

UV Flashlight for checking leaks in fliud system
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
I know UV light is powerful, but do not know whether it is powerful enough to check leaks in the fluid system. For example, a UV flashlight seller told me it can check the leaks in the air conditioner. Is that true? If it is true, what kind of UV flashlight is better,  365nm or 395nm one?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
Re: UV Flashlight for checking leaks in fliud system
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
I know UV light is powerful, but do not know whether it is powerful enough to check leaks in the fluid system. For example, a UV flashlight seller told me it can check the leaks in the air conditioner. Is that true? If it is true, what kind of UV flashlight is better,  365nm or 395nm one?
Welcome to the forum, Garry!  Great to have you with us.

I never knew about using a UV light to check on AC leaks.  I do know that the 365nm are the closest to a true black light and work best at nearly all applications requiring UV light to see.  I would imagine that it would be the same for seeing AC leaks.  I take it you have searched google for an answer on this particular application?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:42 PM »
Garry, it looks like you use standard UV dye in the AC fluid so I thin k 365nm would be the better choice.  395nm is too faaar into the visible spectrum and not enough into the UV like 365 is. ;)

https://youtu.be/RbX9qx1P_7E
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:39:55 PM by JohnnyMac »

Offline jonwkng

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 10:22:51 PM »
Hey Garry,

I suppose as the boss has mentioned, the optimal wavelength for UV fluorescence is tied to the dye used.

I do know that Fluke makes a AAA inspection flashlight - the Fluke RLD2 HVAC/R that was designed for HVAC technicians. That uses 395nm UV LEDs.

:) When in doubt, just cover all the bases... I'll just go for a mixed wavelength UV flashlight. The StreamLight NightCom UV outputs at both 365nm & 385nm.

Remember to use eye protection when working with any UV emitters!  8)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Team Kronos
  • Administrator
  • TFF Co-Founder
    • Johnny Mac Reviews
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:51:42 AM »
Hey Garry,

I suppose as the boss has mentioned, the optimal wavelength for UV fluorescence is tied to the dye used.

I do know that Fluke makes a AAA inspection flashlight - the Fluke RLD2 HVAC/R that was designed for HVAC technicians. That uses 395nm UV LEDs.

:) When in doubt, just cover all the bases... I'll just go for a mixed wavelength UV flashlight. The StreamLight NightCom UV outputs at both 365nm & 385nm.

Remember to use eye protection when working with any UV emitters!  8)
Great catch there.  It certainly pays to do some research and I'm happy you found out for him that the 395 would be the better choice.  I'm used to more standard UV requirement but this works out better him because 385-395nm LEDs are cheaper to produce and can be had more readily than a true 365nm. ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:52:40 AM by JohnnyMac »

Offline Polarion-Sparetech

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:12:04 PM »
Just to confirm what was said in previous post: UV light causes fluorescence. To improve detection (by your eye), it's important to cut off as much visible as possible. Moreover, the amount of fluorescence varies according to the wavelength and the flux (mW per cm2).

In other words, low wavelength (365 nm) and high flux. Such lights are costly but very useful for non-destructive testing. In many cases (such as the one here), a dye can be used and that dye is designed to fluoresce at longer wavelengths which allows the used of 385 nm or even 395 nm light. Much cheaper and can be made with LED.

Offline GarryWhite

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
I think that the 365nm uv flashlight are the good choice, a true black light and work best

Offline LisaWarren

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 01:10:22 PM »
I think you are right GarryWhite..